Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sutton Mock tests
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:28 pm 

Hi all,

Just wanted to get an idea of the number of mock exams your daughter or son sat for? If you could also PM me some mock test recommendations it would be very helpful. My daughter will be giving SET/Slough/Tiffins exams.

Thanks very much.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=56408

Post subject: Re: Mock tests
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:06 am 

There is no hard and fast rule here. I would suggest you spread the mock exams you take over a few months with the the final one before during the summer months of 2019. Taking mock exams is not free and is time consuming. Not all the mock exams we took added much value and were not that similar to the final exam. The mock exams seem to be a money spinner for PTAs and private companies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:21 am 

We sat one at the end of Y4 - as a progress test. We then sat Maths & English at SGS in Y5. We did SET & Tiffins.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:30 pm 

You need to do your research and find tests that are as close as possible to the exam formats your dc will be taking.

In my experience the Sutton Grammar PTA ones are the best but that is because the exam format closely mirrors the formats in North London.

Others such as Wallington and St Olaves and Wilson may be better suited to your area.

I also really like the fact that with Sutton you can see all the results and see how your dc fared against almost three thousand in the cohort last year and no doubt more this year.

I also like the fact that Sutton always improves and expands their offering each year.

Last year they added more tests in late August as well as the ones in May and June.

Too late for students sitting in early September but perfect for those sitting in late September and early October and sitting private schools in December and January.

As you can perhaps tell I am a big fan of mocks. In my experience they help iron out all the non academic mistakes that students make that lose them a place which is such a shame.

Getting the timing wrong, mucking up the answer sheets, not taking enough pencils, spending too long on one question, misreading the questions. These are all the wrong reasons for losing a place; although of course these types of mistakes do not bode well for strong performance in GCSE where students can be doing as many 25 papers with different instructions in six weeks.

The PTA mocks have all been well researched and sell out quickly so don't dilly dally too long!

Last year the whole of the Sutton mocks sold out in three days. DG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:01 pm 

Registration for the mock tests held by the PTFA of Wallington County Grammar has now opened.

Information at http://www.wcgs-sutton.co.uk/Familiarisation-Tests

Happy New year all!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:18 am 

Thanks all for the great info! Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:01 am 

The Sutton PTA Mock booking is now open.
Mock C Thursday morning + afternoon and Friday morning sold out within the first 15mins.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:13 am 

See the link below
https://www.sgsptamocktests.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:37 pm 

Moderators have no objection to the above posts, and would like to thank those who have taken the trouble to answer the original poster's question.

However, while we are usually happy to exempt PTA mocks from our normal strict rules on advertising, we do not want the forum to be bombarded with multiple posts providing a running commentary, such as:

"Booking for PTA mocks opens today"

"First session sold out"

"Hurry, hurry, hurry - not many places left"

Posts judged to be excessive will be removed.

Forum rules state:
      Quote:
      7(d) Announcements relating to practice 11+ tests are usually permitted if organised by a school or PTA or charity - but must not become excessive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:48 pm 

Hi,
can someone help me how to book Sutton mock exam, they are all sold out tried booking on the day and time mentioned on the website i couldn't do so
should I click on my booking? or wait until one of the sold-out shows available just cant work out how to book