Catchment area for Grammar Schools in Maidstone

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
aoyama

Catchment area for Grammar Schools in Maidstone

Post by aoyama »

Hi
We are moving to the Maidstone area and I am trying to get to grips with the grammar school system (for girls schools or mixed)

I wondered if anyone could explain to me how the catchment area works? I understand that children have to pass the Kent Test, and then have a high enough score to get into the school.
Does where you live play any part in it, or is it literally just based on your score?
For example if there is 60 places - how do they decide the 60th? If two kids have the same result, do they then look at who is closest?

Do you have to live really close to the school to actually stand a chance of getting in? How far away do children typically come from?

If anyone has a link to catchment area maps for girls grammar schools that would be great, the school websites dont appear to have them?
Thank you
mad?

Re: Catchment area for Grammar Schools in Maidstone

Post by mad? »

Hi and welcome!

You will need to look at the admissions policies for each school. For example
https://www.mggs.org/admissions/admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shows you that there are other factors that are considered as well as/before score/location.

Each school will be different, and things can change depending on when your DC will be applying so it is always worth keeping an eye out for any consultations to make changes. If you search this forum for the relevant schools you may be able to garner in formation about previous allocation distances. Alternatively, most LAs will publish admissions statistics about previous years where last distance in will be shown, so have a look on the KCC website. Good luck.
mad?
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

In theory, places go on distance, but a pass will be enough if you live in Maidstone. In recent years there have been spare places, with girls who didn't quite pass getting in on appeal. Last year MGGS set aside 30 places for those with highest scores, but I doubt the criteria was used or needed. Of course, things change each year, so check with both schools. It's generally safe to say, if you're in Maidstone and pass, you'll get a place.

https://www.schoolguide.co.uk/catchment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look at the heat map at the bottom of the page for a particular school, you will see MGGS and Invicta tend to attract girls from slightly different areas, but both go quite far out.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

You're welcome.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sparklecat wrote:You're welcome.
:lol:

Unless the OP has come back to look for responses without logging in, that may have gone unread as well, however.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
aoyama

Post by aoyama »

Thank you! very helpful