GCSE Revision using YouTube

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

GCSE Revision using YouTube

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I have been reading a few threads and have seen some great links to Hazel and Primrose Kitten for science. They both seem great but I was wondering if anyone could recommend similar ones made by men (for any topic really). I have been searching (science only so far) with not much luck - I will continue looking but wondered if anyone had a suggestion off the top of their heads.

Many thanks.
Eccentric

Re: GCSE Revision using YouTube

Post by Eccentric »

BucksBornNBred wrote:I have been reading a few threads and have seen some great links to Hazel and Primrose Kitten for science. They both seem great but I was wondering if anyone could recommend similar ones made by men (for any topic really). I have been searching (science only so far) with not much luck - I will continue looking but wondered if anyone had a suggestion off the top of their heads.

Many thanks.
My daughter uses freesciencelessons https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqbOeH ... l7sBVG3_bw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; she says it is better than anything else and has everything you need to know. It is presented by a man.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thank you Eccentric. They seem to have the facts but are, perhaps, a little dry. I guess I am wondering if there is something more upbeat that would be enjoyable to watch whilst learning at the same time, if that makes sense. I know that is a big ask but I am sure they are out there somewhere!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Just curious, BBB - but why?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Why for which bit, Toadmum? The male or the resource?

GCSEs are a year away yet and DS is doing well and slowly getting used to revising :roll: He loves watching entertaining YouTube videos which are educational and I was just hoping I could casually drop into conversation about a great YouTuber that happens to cover the curriculum! Big ask I know. I enjoyed the style of the two ladies I mentioned but I think he might be more open to a man (think Grant Imahara and Adam Savage, or maybe even James May!).
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Does your DS school subscribe to GCSEpod? It is basically revision videos for all subjects by topic, followed by questions if they want to do them. Many of the voiceovers are men I believe. Exam solutions have videoed answers to maths questions, all done by men.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Gender of YT-er :) . DS2 in particular out of ours is very into YT and I've never heard him express a preference for one variety or the other - although come to think of it, the only instructional type stuff he has ever mentioned tends to be on practical, craft-based topics (how to insert sleeves, zips et; having decided to have a go at sewing, he is getting an awful lot more use out of my old sewing machine than I ever have, even if some of the garments he produces could best be described as idiosyncratic :lol: . He is in yr11, though, so perhaps time to check that he does know who / what to look for in the absence of a 'real life' teacher, should he get stuck on something more academic.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
russet

Post by russet »

Does he realise, in these modern times, women as well as men do science? Cambridge I believe now even started giving them degrees in it.
piggys

Post by piggys »

Indeed russet, I heard that some females have actual jobs earning real money. Tsk.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Unbelievably my son managed to get four A levels and into a Russell Group university despite having many lady teachers and that was at an all boys school too!