GCSE Revision using YouTube

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fairyelephant

Re: GCSE Revision using YouTube

Post by fairyelephant »

Mr Bruff is great for English, but not because he’s a man!
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Come on guys; I hoped you wouldn't turn this into a gender thing. DS has absolutely no bias against women and doesn't think they are second class citizens or unable to do science - that really has not crossed his mind. It just seems there are a lot of good scientific women covering the curriculum on YouTube but not in a way that he finds entertaining. I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any men doing the same thing, as the Tubers I mention are not to his liking. No sexism here, so please don't turn a simple question into a political issue.

As I stated I am not exactly looking for revision guides but something entertaining that covers/reflects the curriculum, and which he might be interested in (yes it could be a woman but only if she has the humour of Jeremy Clarkson et al :lol: )

ETA: OK, let me clarify... maybe "male" was the wrong was to phrase my question. I guess what I meant is that he watches lots of highly entertaining physics videos presented by men. They are very good and educational but they are not curriculum based. I just wanted to ask if anyone knew of similar that were more helpful for GCSEs.
russet

Post by russet »

You hoped a thread about gender would not be turned into a gender thing?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

So the question was actually, Does anyone know of any YouTubers who present curriculum-based sciences in a style different to that of Miss Kitten and her ilk? .

Some boys apparently do learn better from (or at least, pay more attention to) speakers of their own gender. Although as DS2 put it, he would be a bit stuck if he cared whether his science teachers were male, since two of them aren't.
Last edited by ToadMum on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

ToadMum wrote:So the question was actually, Does anyone know of any YouTubers who present curriculum-based sciences in a style different to that of Miss Kitten and her ilk? .

Some boys apparently do learn better from (or at leadt, pay more attention to) speakers of their own gender. Although as DS2 put it, he would be a bit stuck if he cared whether his science teachers were male, since two of them aren't.
I guess yes. Thank you ToadMum :-) I just want to put something in front of him that is fun and the women on YouTube just aren't cutting it. No sexism here; I just want to match what he enjoys. DS has no problem with his female teachers; I just feel the women so far on YouTube aren't really "doing it for him". I suggested men as the ones he watches are fun.. maybe because they are off curriculum; I don't know. DS has no idea I am looking for advice. I just felt that maybe there was someone else out there who could help. This was never a sexist post... just looking for help.
piggys

Post by piggys »

BucksBornNBred wrote: No sexism here.
No sexism apart from the prerequisite that all videos submitted must feature men and not women. :shock:

As they say on MN, did you mean to be so sexist?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Even if the question was badly worded, there is no need for personal attack. THe OP has explained what he meant by the original question. Please remain civil
russet

Post by russet »

Could we also extend that to pms?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

russet wrote:Could we also extend that to pms?
Certainly, if you have are unhappy about any pms you have received, please report them to moderators.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

russet wrote:Could we also extend that to pms?
"What a nasty comment" upset you? As ToadMum said, boys may be more open to male teachers. None of this is sexist and I fail to understand that interpretation. Different strokes for different folks basically and we all learn in different ways. We are, after all, different and should celebrate that surely?