Passing 11 plus

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lostbulak

Passing 11 plus

Post by lostbulak »

Hi,

My son, who is in year 5, would want to try the 11 plus. He is not one of the top ones in his class; an average one, I would say.
Just wondering, did you think that your child would make it? (To those ones who passed the 11 plus.)
scary mum

Re: Passing 11 plus

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum :)
Where we live the top 30% (roughly) get through. I knew that my two DSs should get through on that basis & that DD would probably be borderline and my predictions were correct (DSs passed, DD didn't). However, on the forum every year we see shocked parents who were convinced their DC would pass & they don't. I think it's much harder to predict for super selective areas as you don't know who else will be sitting.
scary mum
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

We hoped ours would be OK (top tables, top sets, great primary)

What I learned is that you just can't predict, as there are so many other factors at play, such as how they 'perform' on the test day - and life can throw you a curve ball.

Mine are both at gs, but it's been a bumpy ride. Conversely, several children from middle sets sailed through, there are surprises every year.

On that basis, if your child is keen, if you are keen and you are able to/want to, then try.

But always have a plan b - a back up school, a positive outlook and big shoulders, in case your son does not get through and his friends do. Make sure you big up the alternative school and do not sell grammar as the be all and end all (these are all things we found out along the way).
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

The middle sets line sounds really pompous sorry, what I mean is that if you say your son is maybe average then gs selection is possible.

But also think about the long term. There are several boys at my son's schools still receiving tutoring in y8. Now for some parents that may be the norm, but I know a couple who need the tutoring and still struggle. Possibly for 7 years.

Just something else to bear in mind.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Sons' schools (I don't have one son at several schools, although...it's a long story :roll: )
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Depends where in the UK you are. Essex, for instance, is super selective so only the brightest get in, most other areas are fully grammar/secondary modern so take more children into the grammar system.

You won't have long to make your mind up though you'll need to get his name down for the exam soon.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The only fully grammar areas are Buckinghamshire & Kent. Registration is usually in the spring/summer I think.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now