Exploding Offers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
splits123

Exploding Offers

Post by splits123 »

Hi

DD has just sat some of the independent school exams this week. Just wondering if those of you more familiar with the schools can advise whether any of the following schools have 'exploding offers'?

Habs girls
South Hampstead
Channing

Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: Exploding Offers

Post by Daogroupie »

None of these three schools have exploding offers.

City girls is the main school that has exploding offers and are now about to have their third year of doing so. DG
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi Splits123,

A thread from early Dec 2018 re St Paul's Girls addressed exploding offers . I believe Channing was amongst those cited as using them.eg.

Expat wrote "CLSG, Channing and Highgate have used exploding offers for the last few years. I haven't heard that SPGS has done so. But the advice we received from our independent primary was that almost all independent secondaries reserve the right to withdraw offers if they are too oversubscribed; our headteacher strongly suggested that we prepare to make our decision as soon as we had the details of the offers. Unfortunately, you may be leaving yourself at risk of disappointment if you plan to use offer-holders' days to get more information or to have a last look around. At CLSG the offers exploded before their offer-holders' days each of the last two years, as they also did at Channing last year."

HTH
PS
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

DAOgroupie, I just wanted to add that we were told first hand that Channing have exploding offers. NLCS told me that they offer 120 places for 60
Spaces and they guarantee every girl offered a place and it usually works out that they have about the correct amount. If they have more they said that’s their problem to address.
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

Channing definitely do exploding offers. Francis Holland and SHHS have explicitly stated that they won't. Apparently their registrars have got the maths of offers to acceptances spot on and usually end up either exactly right or taking one or two from the waiting lists.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you.

I stand corrected on Channing.

Surprising that nobody was complaining about it last year and City girls was getting all the grief.

Surprising too that NLCS offer double the spaces and expect only 50% to accept.

Two years in a row they have had to go back to the list after the interviews and invite more girls in for interview as they have not been able to get enough they want to make offers to from the initial choice.

It is very difficult to have to second guess what parents are going to choose each year.

I support the exploding offers. Parents have had plenty of time to make their mind up and I can't see any reason to sit there with a bunch of offers week after week before deciding. DG
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Daogroupie wrote:I support the exploding offers. Parents have had plenty of time to make their mind up and I can't see any reason to sit there with a bunch of offers week after week before deciding
Agree about those holding on to lots of offers.

But the exploding offers do put parents waiting for Grammar School allocations on 1st March at a disadvantage.
piggys

Post by piggys »

thisisnuts wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:I support the exploding offers. Parents have had plenty of time to make their mind up and I can't see any reason to sit there with a bunch of offers week after week before deciding
Agree about those holding on to lots of offers.

But the exploding offers do put parents waiting for Grammar School allocations on 1st March at a disadvantage.
As a parent who didn't bother with the independent sector because of unaffordability, I disagree; parents with the option of grammars AND indies are massively advantaged in my view.
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

There have been many parents of the forum who have talked about Channing’s exploding offers. I would urge parents to receive information first hand from schools as every school I have been to have been very transparent about their protocol and procedure.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Do these schools differentiate between those waiting for state school allocations who hold substantial bursary offers and those for whose parents a non-refunded £1000 or so would be a small price to pay, compared with saving £15 000 pa for the next 7 years if their DC is allocated a grammar school place?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx