Reducing sugar in maths lessons

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Eccentric

Reducing sugar in maths lessons

Post by Eccentric »

I had to post this one. Especially as there is increasing evidence that inflammation causes depression and that inflammation can be caused by a high sugar diet. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/educ ... 16041.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Re: Reducing sugar in maths lessons

Post by hermanmunster »

Eccentric wrote: Especially as there is increasing evidence that inflammation causes depression and that inflammation can be caused by a high sugar diet.
Wot? have you got some references to this? TBH I would reckon people were less depressed when there was more sugar in the diet
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

hermanmunster wrote:
Eccentric wrote: Especially as there is increasing evidence that inflammation causes depression and that inflammation can be caused by a high sugar diet.
Wot? have you got some references to this? TBH I would reckon people were less depressed when there was more sugar in the diet
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3181969/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 008-9118-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 8210000948" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sounds like a debate on causation or association
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

hermanmunster wrote:Sounds like a debate on causation or association
I was sure that someone would say that :) However the evidence is mounting.
My OP however was about schools teaching children how to reduce sugar intake in maths lessons.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I was thinking Benedict's Solution...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

ToadMum wrote:I was thinking Benedict's Solution...
It would be a good idea because then they can see for themselves how much sugar is in things...
I remember going to an under ones group with my health visitor and they had a speaker who showed the group how much sugar was in foods it was related to dental health but the stunned look on peoples faces when shown that a glass of orange juice had as much sugar in as coca cola was priceless.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Eccentric wrote:the stunned look on peoples faces when shown that a glass of orange juice had as much sugar in as coca cola was priceless.
Eh? Wot?

Just looking at the Waitrose website:

Fresh OJ: 16% sugar

Coke: 39% sugar

Maybe it was good old Sunny Delight instead?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Or orange squash. I remember my health visitor cautioning against orbnage juice and recommending watering it down a lot because of the acid levels in it which destroy enamel, but not sugar......

I've seen that dental health sugar thing in so many guises - lots of bags with various amounts of sugar pinned on a noticeboard under the associated evil drink - it comes from science fairs in America - it's supposed to encourage everyone to drink water....yawn.....

Or simply brush your teeth properly....!

Hey let's all go and chow down on our fat free, sugar free, fibrous ummmmmm......cardboard....? Yummm...delicious.....

I think I'll stick with the cake and improve my maths by counting how many slices I've eaten....
Last edited by kenyancowgirl on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

That reminds me of Over The Hedge where Vern eats a stick/bark. And that in turn reminds me of happy days when I used to buy liquorice root off the market and chomp down on it as a snack! Simpler days :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now