Tried and tested preparation plan

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sorryIhaventaclue

Tried and tested preparation plan

Post by sorryIhaventaclue »

Does anyone have a tried and tested workplan for Y5 that they would be happy to share or point me in the direction of for independent school Y7 entry preparation? We are completely new to this and trying to get some kind of plan together. Thanks!
Daogroupie

Re: Tried and tested preparation plan

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to say which schools you will be applying for and the exam format of each school.

A plan for a school using VR and NVR will be different from a plan for a school only using English and Maths.

You also need to post this in the Independent school section although there would actually be no difference between a plan for a state school selective that used the same exam format.

The exam format is the key. DG
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Moved to Independent Schools section.
scary mum
sorryIhaventaclue

Post by sorryIhaventaclue »

Thanks for moving this.

We are looking at WHS, PHS, G&L, IPS and SPGS.
Happy-summer

Post by Happy-summer »

I too am interested in this answer! DD is Y4 and we're looking at applying for a sports scholarship at an 'academically appropriate' selective school. We've never been through private schooling so admissions is all new to us.

I've done a fair bit of research on other forums, spoken to Schools and checked out websites. I think the main message is to enhance and prepare rather than push the child. I've been doing daily 'reading and rockstars' which is reading a book with her for anything from 5 minutes to 20 minutes and 3 minutes on Timestables Rockstars, which is a brilliant app for practicing times tables and working within time limits. She is getting better at getting through as many questions as possible and not stopping to pause and spend 30 seconds working one out. 43 correct with 5 wrong is better than 20 correct and zero wrong.

I've also got the CGP 10 minutes mental maths book which is done weekly. She loves maths, not so much English, so thought she should build on what she enjoys first so it's not a chore and everything is little and often.

NVR and VR will require lots of practice in the future to understand the format. I understand is a 'technique' to be learned. Someone on another forum suggest 6 x2 hour sessions with practice papers leading up to the exams should prepare them without over working them. Anymore and it's too much pressure or burnout it seems.

Anyway, that's our plan so far, so very interested in how others are preparing and what gets good participation.
VelvetyYellow

Post by VelvetyYellow »

It seems this chat has been a while, but I am interested in a tried and tested study plan for DAO, St Albans High school for Girls, city of London girls and at Margaret’s Bushey.
I’m very new to the game and would like to give DD the best shot.

Thank you
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The format and strategy will be unique to each child and their family set up. What was right for my DD when we were preparing for grammar and independent tests will not be right for someone else. We didn't use a tutor but that was because DD was self motivated and what input we did do didn't result in lots of stress, I know some families find that the home familiarisation will not work for them and it would destroy a family relationship. It also depends what starting point you are coming from, how competent already and what strengths your DC might have.

We used some mock tests as whilst DD seemed very capable and bright it was just a guess and we didn't really 'know', the tests helped benchmark for us and identify any weak points. Using sample papers from the schools or similar schools to the ones you are applying for will be a good start and help you think about what might be next best steps.
VelvetyYellow

Post by VelvetyYellow »

Thank you PettswoodFiona. DD is capable, not not blazing with motivation all the time, hence need to help her organise and put some structure in the process.
I wonder if anyone used a study plan or some kind of organised method. We have 6 months before the first exam. Any tips would be highly appreciated. thanks
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Whilst it is good to have a plan that ticks off all the elements of the test(s) in question, don't be too rigid, learn about which areas your DD finds most challenging and then don't sweat over the stuff she is excelling at, just revisit less frequently so it doesn't get forgotten. Identify what is needed for each test (I did this via the past papers for the Independent and for the grammars via the tools on this site https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools/regions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - find the school then see the recommended practice materials) and then as you go mark off how confident your DD is and revisit the ones that she is not so confident in more frequently until she becomes more confident or consistently answering correctly.

Also don't forget to include techniques like timing, reviewing, juggling papers on the table etc.
VelvetyYellow

Post by VelvetyYellow »

This is very helpful, thanks very much pettswoodFiona.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now