Watford Boys help

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confusedmummyofboys

Watford Boys help

Post by confusedmummyofboys »

HI

So we have taken a slight U Turn in our 11+ choice of schools and are currently considering Watford Grammar as our top choice. I have done my best to acquaint myself with all the information but was hoping for some clarificiation.

1. Of the 40 odd spaces available for the inner catchment would anyone know how many apply for a space? I know the exam is for a group of schools, so am not sure how to work out the odds of gaining a space or the correct score.

2. Are the CEM VR papers multiple choice? I have seen the BOND CEM papers and they are not as so wasnt sure if it was the same format.
I understand CGP are a good choice for practice. Are there any topics specifically that need covering?

3. Whilst we have been hoping to avoid tutoring from recent discussions it seems it is unlikely for the child to gain a space without some support. I would therefore like to explore both options of hiring a tutor familiar with the Watford admissions paper or guidance on what to cover and then possibly sitting a MOCK. I have no idea where my son would be in the list, he is currently schooled outside of Watford so not many children from his school apply.

Thank you all SO SO much.

Any parents with feedback on Watford Grammar Boys would also be much appreciated.
scary mum

Re: Watford Boys help

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum!

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors or tutoring organisations (other than school/PTA and non-commercial organisations) to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' negative posts, seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members - check carefully the date of joining and number of posts - who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:

• Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here

Kind regards

ForumAdmin

You can find further information on the tests & practice materials here

Note that the page needs updating as it is now GL for both.
scary mum
Hera

Post by Hera »

Are you definitely inner if your son it not in a local school?

The only information given with regards to numbers are the amount of kids that apply to the school from the inner and outer areas which is available on the schools historical information document on their website. The schools also provide information on the lowest score that gained a place in previous years on March 1st and this website has information about what that score droped to by September.

The VR exam is changing this year from CEM to GL, so both their Maths and VR will be provided by GL . They haven't posted the new sample papers online yet but I would assume that they will continue to use a standard format rather than multiple choice, but it is worth keeping an eye on the consortium website.

You don't need to hire a tutor, but it is necessary to do preparation for the exams. There is lots of material out there and a couple of mocks would be really helpful too. You can buy GL VR and Maths papers as well as lots of similar papers by different providers. You can also get "How To" books which will give examples of techniques and questions.
confusedmummyofboys

Post by confusedmummyofboys »

Thank you so much. I am pretty relieved it's GL as my son is familiar with it. Was feeling rather overwhelmed at CEM.

Yes we are in the inner postcodes.

Glad to hear tutor isn't needed. Will look into the prep and maybe do a mock paper to see where he is.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now