Brampton Manor East Ham Newham Sixth form 41 Oxbridge

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Brampton Manor East Ham Newham Sixth form 41 Oxbridge

Post by Daogroupie »

A sixth form academy which only opened in 2012 and had just one Oxbridge offer in 2014 have 41 offers this year.

Over half of the successful applicants are on Free school meals and two thirds will be the first member of their family to go to University.

If you can get ITV London news some of these students were interviewed on the programme today.

"Lots of people outside of school said I couldn't do it but my teachers always believed in me." was the comment of Rama who came to the UK in 2013 as a refuge from Saudi Arabia and has secured an offer to read English at St Hildas College Oxford.

Catch some of these students speaking if you can. They are very inspiring. DG
loobylou

Re: Brampton Manor East Ham Newham Sixth form 41 Oxbridge

Post by loobylou »

I saw a story about it this week in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... idge-place" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't normally think that where a student goes is too important but I do hope this heralds a move to a more level playing field for students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

loobylou wrote: I don't normally think that where a student goes is too important but I do hope this heralds a move to a more level playing field for students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Depends what you consider level playing field, I saw some BBC news interviews with the Head who was defending the fact that the sixth form is highly selective. I gather many who have been at the school for five years do not make the cut and have to go elsewhere.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

[quote="PettswoodFiona"][quote="loobylou"]
I don't normally think that where a student goes is too important but I do hope this heralds a move to a more level playing field for students from disadvantaged backgrounds.[/quote]
Depends what you consider level playing field, I saw some BBC news interviews with the Head who was defending the fact that the sixth form is highly selective. I gather many who have been at the school for five years do not make the cut and have to go elsewhere.[/quote]

Ah ok, I had only read that Guardian article. I suppose this is back to the original design of selective education.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Haven't rummaged all through their admissions details, but I have read on another forum of the school interviewing for sixth form. Which they had better not be, if they have any regard for compliance with the Admissions Code.

I don't know whether they are amongst the 41, but DD knows girls who went there from her previous grammar school - so not exactly failed by their 11 - 16 education and from families who were able to pay their train fare (or more likely, private coach fare) from up there to down here for five years.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

ToadMum wrote:Haven't rummaged all through their admissions details, but I have read on another forum of the school interviewing for sixth form. Which they had better not be, if they have any regard for compliance with the Admissions Code.
Yes, I noticed that the BBC News story stated
The sixth form, which is oversubscribed, annually accepts 300 students, who are interviewed before being offered a place.
Edited to add:
From the admissions details
All applicants will receive a response from the School about their application
by March 2019; at this stage, applicants who meet the minimum entry
criteria are invited to a meeting to discuss options and academic entry
requirements for their chosen subjects. Please note that this meeting will
not form part of the decision making process on whether to offer a place.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:
ToadMum wrote:Haven't rummaged all through their admissions details, but I have read on another forum of the school interviewing for sixth form. Which they had better not be, if they have any regard for compliance with the Admissions Code.
Yes, I noticed that the BBC News story stated
The sixth form, which is oversubscribed, annually accepts 300 students, who are interviewed before being offered a place.
Edited to add:
From the admissions details
All applicants will receive a response from the School about their application
by March 2019; at this stage, applicants who meet the minimum entry
criteria are invited to a meeting to discuss options and academic entry
requirements for their chosen subjects. Please note that this meeting will
not form part of the decision making process on whether to offer a place.
Well, that's a relief :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
dez

Post by dez »

With an annual intake of 250-300 for Year 12, an entry requirement of Grade 7 across all subjects taken and also taking account with contextual data into consideration, 41 Oxbridge offers out of a cohort of 300 is only comparable to most highly selective 6th form!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now