Independent schools 11+ appeals

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Northlondonparent

Independent schools 11+ appeals

Post by Northlondonparent »

Has anyone had success getting a decision changed when a DS has not been invited for interview at 11+? Am particularly interested in boys’ schools (Habs and UCS) where it was a surprise result.
hermanmunster

Re: Independent schools 11+ appeals

Post by hermanmunster »

Independent schools don't have any form of appeals system - However they may give feedback to you or your child's teacher which may clarify why they have made this decision
AML

Post by AML »

Both schools rejected the same child ? Then obviously something there..
drinkmoretea

Post by drinkmoretea »

I'd certainly ask each school if they can explain why. Some schools will tell you which was the child's weaker subject in exam. If they both give the same subject then at least you have a consistent answer.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Was it a surprise because somebody had advised you that he was at the right level to get interviews at Habs and UCS?

What data did you have that made it a surprise?

600 boys sat the Habs exams. Habs mark the papers and put the boys in rank order. They then invite the top 240 to come in for interview.

Nobody knows from year to year what the level of the last boy to get an interview will be. It all depends on who applies.

If you contact them you may well be able to find out if there was one of the papers, such as English or Maths that brought his total score down.. You may also be able to find out approx where he was in the total ranks.

I would urge you to focus on trying to get this data which will help you.

Did you get any other interviews?

Have you considered working towards 13 plus entry? DG
Northlondonparent

Thanks all.

Invited for interview at MTS.

We have received feedback from Habs - just missed the 240 cutoff.

Awaiting feedback from UCS, which is top choice. Wondering if anyone has ever managed to secure an interview after initially being rejected?

Yes, we were advised to apply for these three schools, based on lots of things including CATs of 134 (one is 140).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Excellent news that you got the feedback from Habs, hope you get the same from UCS.

Also great to hear you have an interview from MTS.

UCS do not have very many spaces available so it is harder to get an interview . DG
Northlondonparent

Thanks.

30 places at UCS - approx 350 sat.
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

DG, is it really always in rank order? I seem to remember when we went to see NLCS that the Registrar said they had a feeder school and will consider those kids first then others. I could have heard wrong of course.
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

What's the formula these schools are using for number of interviewees to offers made do you think?

On another thread, it said Highgate interview 300 and make 180 offers (so almost 2/3rds of those interviewed get an offer).

I was told City girls offered 250 places last year (hence the offers exploding quite so rapidly) having interviewed 300 i.e. almost all those interviewed were offered.

How many places are there at Habs? I wonder whether those ranked say, 200-240, have got a chance of an offer or whether candidates have to do something exception either way to get or lose a place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now