Joint Honours Degree

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

buzzybee

Joint Honours Degree

Post by buzzybee »

Can't quite believe that next year dd will be taking her A Levels. She is currently in Year 12 taking Dance, English Lit/Lang and Psychology.

Starting to think about possible courses. A couple of years ago if you had asked her, she would have said after A Levels she would like to audition for one of the top dance colleges. Whilst she still loves dancing and dances four days a week to a high standard, she is loving her Psychology A Level which has come as a surprise! For a while now she has been thinking that she would like to do a joint honours degree at Uni, one of which would include dance in some form alongside Psychology.

We have done a little bit of research and found a few courses but does anyone have any insight to which uni's we should be looking at? So far, the only ones we can see that do something along those lines are Bath, Derby and Liverpool.

Her school have an evening in the next couple of weeks regarding UCAS. Being the eldest child, Uni seems completely alien to me!

Thanks.
scary mum

Re: Joint Honours Degree

Post by scary mum »

buzzybee wrote:Can't quite believe that next year dd will be taking her A Levels. She is currently in Year 12 taking Dance, English Lit/Lang and Psychology.

Starting to think about possible courses. A couple of years ago if you had asked her, she would have said after A Levels she would like to audition for one of the top dance colleges. Whilst she still loves dancing and dances four days a week to a high standard, she is loving her Psychology A Level which has come as a surprise! For a while now she has been thinking that she would like to do a joint honours degree at Uni, one of which would include dance in some form alongside Psychology.

We have done a little bit of research and found a few courses but does anyone have any insight to which uni's we should be looking at? So far, the only ones we can see that do something along those lines are Bath, Derby and Liverpool.

Her school have an evening in the next couple of weeks regarding UCAS. Being the eldest child, Uni seems completely alien to me!

Thanks.
If you put her A levels in to the UCAS website I think it comes up with suggestions. It might be a way of spotting some courses that you have missed. There may be these sort of courses at some of the old polytechnics, which may be more suitable than the more traditional universities. I had a quick google & both Bath Spa & Liverpool John Moores do joint honours Dance & Psychology degrees, so these may be the ones our are referring to above (rather than Bath uni & Liverpoorl uni).
scary mum
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Thank you scary mum. I'll take a look.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This might also help.

https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become-ps ... ed-courses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can select joint degrees in the filters.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Thanks Tinkers.
KB

Post by KB »

+1 for Tinker's link.
The danger with joint honours is that there is insufficient study to be accredited.

A general danger with joint honours is the workload being greater than with single honours.

Another option might be looking at doing single honours at an institution with a strong extra curricular 'dance' reputation? I know of people who have done this with other combinations eg music, drama.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Might be worth looking at liberal arts degrees too.
solimum

Post by solimum »

A family member works in Dance at Roehampton and I have been impressed by some of the work they do, including the use of dance with Parkinson's - might be more there than she thought anyway. https://www.roehampton.ac.uk/undergradu ... ses/dance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

How about this one at Uni of Chichester https://www.chi.ac.uk/department-dance/ ... ce-science" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Combines dance and psychology
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Or Dance and Movement Studies at Derby?

I would echo all the advice about checking BPS status and also the workload - it is pretty high for both Psychology and Dance (with performances etc) so be careful she is not spread too thin....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now