Highgate vs CLSG

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MrsCal

Highgate vs CLSG

Post by MrsCal »

I understand we'll need to make a very fast choice should DD get offered a place at either of these schools.

How does one decide this?
- commute is one factor
- what type of personality thrives at CLSG?
- what type of personality thrives at Highgate?

Any input is appreciated, anything you know about the schools, how you would make that choice or how you've made that choice.

Thanks
expat

Re: Highgate vs CLSG

Post by expat »

Are you completely indifferent to the coed / girls school issue? DD's teachers were very strongly of the opinion that she would be better off in a girls school at that stage. What do your DD's teachers think?
MrsCal

Post by MrsCal »

expat wrote:Are you completely indifferent to the coed / girls school issue? DD's teachers were very strongly of the opinion that she would be better off in a girls school at that stage. What do your DD's teachers think?
That's a very good point and I'd usually subscribe to the thought that girls will perform much better in an all girls environment. But when I compare facilities, I'd be tempted to think Highgate might still be a better option, even if it is co-ed. I just like the atmosphere there compared to CLSG. Also I get the impression that DD is one of the nerdier girls so might not be that involved with the boys in the future and would be ok at a co-ed... (I have obviously never parented a teen!)

Haven't spoken to DDs teachers yet, and am a bit skeptical as how much their recommendation will be influenced by how much they like a school/get along with the head of a school, but I'll ask them about their opinion on the co-ed piece for DD. That will be interesting to hear.

Happy to stand corrected on everything here. Clearly I know very little.
expat

Post by expat »

Btw, possibly in response to the furore over last year's debacle, CLSG have moved their results date until 25th Feb, the Monday after half-term, 10 days after most other schools will have sent their results. This will avoid a scrum during the half-term and will allow parents to evaluate their other independent school options to some extent before the CLSG fuse is lit (though no school will have a chance to stage an offer-holders day before that). Less stress. Except, of course, for those with offers from Highgate or Channing, which have their own fuses, who would prefer CLSG. Good luck wargaming the various scenarios. If you think you might want another look at any of these schools, you might want to do it before the first results day.

Have Highgate informed you when they will release their results?
mad?

Post by mad? »

I'd go with your gut feel (not someone else's ) assuming commute is similar and DD has no preference. And, to throw a spanner in the works, preference for Co-Ed was what swung it for our DDs, and not in a liking boys way :) . Good luck, nice position to be in.
mad?
MrsCal

Post by MrsCal »

yes, it's a lot of coordination expat. That's why I'm starting the preference list, so we can act quickly on whatever choice we (hopefully) have. Highgate will send final results with a first class letter posted out on 14/02 and an email confirming the letter on 15/02.

mad? great to hear about your daughter, so I assume you now have a preference for co-ed? And thanks for the well wishes, at the moment we're in a great position, but this can of course change in an instant.
mad?

Post by mad? »

MrsCal wrote:mad? great to hear about your daughter, so I assume you now have a preference for co-ed?
Personally yes, for my DDs this was better, they were used to co-ed from primary and had/have (they are both now post school) never found boys an issue. With hindsight, seeing how some of the girls from a local single sex school behaved as they hung around the school gates I would say if a girl is going to be 'distracted' she will find a way :roll: It was the right decision for us, but this is you. There are happy kids and troubled kids at all schools no matter what so go for what feels right for you.
mad?
MrsCal

Post by MrsCal »

Thanks mad? for your wise words.
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

My eldest went to HIghgate and we are extremely happy with school, it’s very different to CLSG. Highgate explained that they over offer and places are based on first come first served, so by the time CLSG release their emails the spaces at HIghgate will be filled.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which school does your dd prefer?

She is the one who will be spending five days a week there for seven years.

Highgate is very lively and go ahead and is really on the up and up.

I still can't quite believe that 900 students sat. A few years ago it was only about 300.

They are very good at seizing new opportunities such as going co ed against stiff opposition from some among the parents and governors and moving their exam forward to December to avoid the scrum in January and to get families involved with them earlier.

Highgate seems a very helpful inclusive school. My dd did a subject day there and they then helped her with mock interviews which was exceptionally kind.

In my personal opinion City is the more academic school and it was a lot harder to get a City interview than a Highgate interview this year.

I also know a former Head of Department at Highgate who moved because of wishing to work with students who were more interested in their studies and is now a lot happier in another North London private school.

I think City really focuses on the academic side of school and if that is your dd then it would suit her very well but if she also enjoys the people aspect of school then Highgate might be more to her taste.

However I have been told by attendees that there are always loads of Highgate students interviewing at Cambridge and Oxford each year so the academic focus is there for students who wish to put study first.

But you can't go wrong with either. They are both excellent schools that many hundreds of applicants would have loved to get an interview at, so it really is personal choice.

DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now