Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jmadan215

score 342.23 need help

Post by jmadan215 »

hi all
my daughter has scored 342.23
I am outside catchment area,
I am considering southend and westcliff, and i am not 100% about whether her score is well above the cut off. we have seen the approximate cut offs for 2019, SHSG-above 335 and WHSG- above 338
how much of a possibility is there for her to receive a place at either of the schools?

thanks in advance
ToadMum

Re: score 342.23 need help

Post by ToadMum »

jmadan215 wrote:hi all
I am considering southend and westcliff, and i am not 100% about whether her score is well above the cut off. we have seen the approximate cut offs for 2019, SHSG-above 335 and WHSG- above 338
how much of a possibility is there for her to receive a place at either of the schools?

thanks in advance
Probably quite a good chance of a place on March 1st and certainly from the waiting list. That is, if you put them on your CAF above any other school where your DD could be offered a place. Just rank schools in your true order of preference.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Oguledoen

Post by Oguledoen »

thanks in advance
Are you serious about your question?342! And you still wonder if she will get in?come on! Of course she will. No one with 340 and above has ever been refused admission in the history of school.Remember the guidance sheet was prepared with the knowledge of existing scores. Just name in your CAF and it's all yours.
jmadan215

Post by jmadan215 »

Oguledoen wrote:

thanks in advance
Are you serious about your question?342! And you still wonder if she will get in?come on! Of course she will. No one with 340 and above has ever been refused admission in the history of school.Remember the guidance sheet was prepared with the knowledge of existing scores. Just name in your CAF and it's all yours.

wow that is what I want to listen,
thanks
jmadan215

Post by jmadan215 »

ToadMum wrote:

thanks in advance
Probably quite a good chance of a place on March 1st and certainly from the waiting list. That is, if you put them on your CAF above any other school where your DD could be offered a place. Just rank schools in your true order of preference.

many thanks
FairPlay

Post by FairPlay »

Oguledoen, I actually called the CSSE office today and they said that the guidance sheets do not take into account this years results. We are in a similar position as my DD scored
340.155, OOC but as more children sat the exam this year I am worried that the cut off mark will be higher?

However having studied the previous guidance sheets I have noticed that the green category cut off mark hasn’t changed in the past three years so I am trying to remain hopeful that she will get offered a place on 1st March.

Why couldn't she have just scored a couple more points and then I would be a lot less stressed :P

Good luck for the 1st March everyone :o
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

Don't forget the introduction of age-standardisation by CSSE for 2019 entry, which will also have inflated scores.
FairPlay

Post by FairPlay »

Excuse my ignorance but what would that have to do with this years cut offs?

And didn’t someone mention on a previous forum that the head of WHSG said that the cut offs might be lower this year?

Arrgh I just want it to be the 1st March now! :P
Oguledoen

Post by Oguledoen »

FairPlay wrote:Oguledoen, I actually called the CSSE office today and they said that the guidance sheets do not take into account this years results. We are in a similar position as my DD scored
340.155, OOC but as more children sat the exam this year I am worried that the cut off mark will be higher?

However having studied the previous guidance sheets I have noticed that the green category cut off mark hasn’t changed in the past three years so I am trying to remain hopeful that she will get offered a place on 1st March.

Why couldn't she have just scored a couple more points and then I would be a lot less stressed :P

Hello, the guidance sheet figures are not picked from the Sky; they were released when scores were known.This years scores on record remain one of the worst and scores are calculated in comparison to others; meaning a 340 this year may not be 340 next year even with same scores.The standardisation merely beefedthe scores to a normal threshold; to prove it, about same number of kids from IC got more than 304 as in previous years. I will be shocked if cut off goes higher that 338, but I can guarantee that 332 from OOC will definitely get a place.
Oguledoen

Post by Oguledoen »

Oguledoen wrote:
FairPlay wrote:Oguledoen, I actually called the CSSE office today and they said that the guidance sheets do not take into account this years results. We are in a similar position as my DD scored

Hello, the guidance sheet figures are not picked from the Sky; they were released when scores were known.This years scores on record remain one of the worst and scores are calculated in comparison to others; meaning a 340 this year may not be 340 next year even with same scores.The standardisation merely beefedthe scores to a normal threshold; to prove it, about same number of kids from IC got more than 304 as in previous years. I will be shocked if cut off goes higher that 338, but I can guarantee that 332 from OOC will definitely get a place.

Remember I can also guarantee you that most girls that score very high in CCHS also did for Essex and that further make any score more than 330 very likely because most score above would have had the option of CCHS as well.