Anyone chosen between Sevenoaks and Judd?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PegtheHen

Anyone chosen between Sevenoaks and Judd?

Post by PegtheHen »

DS did well in the 11+ this year and is very likely to be offered a place at Judd on 1 March. He also sat for Sevenoaks, and we're waiting to find out whether he's been successful. In the meantime, we're trying to decide what we'd do if he ended up getting both offers (because we wouldn't have much time to choose afterwards). I know they're both fantastic schools, and we'll be ****** lucky if we do get offers from both, but I'm really interested to hear if anyone has made this decision and if so what their reasons were? One minute I think we'd be crazy to turn down a free place at Judd; but we really loved Sevenoaks, especially the co-ed and the IB (DS is definitely the academic rather than the sporty type). V grateful for any insights.
SandraHouston

Re: Anyone chosen between Sevenoaks and Judd?

Post by SandraHouston »

The Sevenoaks school is a fantastic school. It was a difficult decision for us last year too, as our DS was offered a place at Skinners, Sevenoaks and other good schools. DS currently attends Sevenoaks and loves it. I think the decision is yours as both schools are good.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

We made a similar decision with DD, she could choose between Sevenoaks and Newstead. We chose the latter with the idea that if she really wanted to do the IB she could look at doing this at Sixth form as all the schools do GCSE anyway. Upshot is that she is loving her school, we don't regret the decision and I am not worried sick about fees and telling her that she can't go on school trips etc. For us the decision was a bit easier as Newstead is much closer, but the travel time difference wasn't a huge amount, also the school fees would have meant a lifestyle change including possibly selling our home.

Above I realise I've said 'we' but really DD made the choice, she identified most with the girls at Newstead and had a torrid time at her independent and didn't want to repeat that and felt Newstead despite being more shabby was the best fit for her. She also wasn't closing any doors and Sevenoaks had an intake at Y9 if it really didn't work out (but it did). It was tough turning down the place at Sevenoaks as it is a lovely school. Every decision is unique so good luck with whatever you decide.
PegtheHen

Post by PegtheHen »

Thank you both so much for your insights. We were delighted to get an offer from Sevenoaks today, and I think we're currently leaning that way - that's what the heart says! But I think we'll spend the next couple of weeks coming to a final decision.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Congratulations and wishing your DS all the best whatever choice is made.
fawn

Post by fawn »

Hi and congratulations on the offer of a place at Sevenoaks School. Did your son attend the post offer open day last Saturday? If so, what did you think? Did you accept the place? We had a similar dilemma too :D
PegtheHen

Post by PegtheHen »

Hi Fawn,
Yes, he went to the open day and really enjoyed it. We've accepted the place at Sevenoaks and declined the place at Judd. It feels like a massive leap, but we just love the school and in the end decided to go with our heart.
How about you?
fawn

Post by fawn »

That's great; it's a lovely school with outstanding results. We ended up declining the place last Wednesday after a lot of consideration and taking it to the wire as DS had been offered another IB (state) school which was nearer to us. Still uncertain whether we've done the right thing but the school were very gracious and at least someone on the W/L will get good news!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now