question for sem

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dayn

question for sem

Post by dayn »

Hi sem,
Was just reading your piece in the appeals section and you say that the panel didnt really ask you any questions.
Just really wondering what you spoke about then, as I thought that was the whole point of the appeal?
Also, how long were you in there?

Thanks
Dayn
capers123

Re: question for sem

Post by capers123 »

dayn wrote:Hi sem,
Was just reading your piece in the appeals section and you say that the panel didnt really ask you any questions.
Just really wondering what you spoke about then, as I thought that was the whole point of the appeal?
Also, how long were you in there?
Hi, Dayn,

Appealing is partly when an independent panel gets chance to consider circumstances out of the ordinary.

A panel not asking questions, whilst unusual, could be because the documents sent in advance by the parents were so good and self explanatory that it's all that needs to be said i.e. "granny died 3 days before the 11+, the child had an illness that was likely to affect performance for 8 weeks, and was expected to get 3 level 5a's at SAT's (got 5b's in year 5)". Not much a panel would ask about there if proof was provided, but also nothing that the school could take into account in the normal admissions process.

The appeal is not just the 'on the day of judgement' event. We get sent the paperwork at least 2 weeks before from both sides - we read & thoroughly inwardly digest (and make notes). We do ask questions on the day (usually), partly to try & draw out any other evidence that may not be thought of as important - and I have known "I didn't think you'd be interested that my husband & I split up the week before the exam - surely that wouldn't have affected Julie's 11+" type of thing to come out!

Appeals tend to last 20 to 30 mins. Sometimes they over-run - over one hour when allocated 20 mins did cause chaos through the day until we had a couple of no-shows - but we want to hear everything the parents (and school) need to say - it's just once they've repeated themselves twice that our chair tried to pull things to a close - but I've also known 20 min appeals over in 5 mins (and just as successful as the long ones).
Capers
sem

Post by sem »

Hi Dayn

My appeal lasted just under half an hour. Starting with introductions by the Chair, then the Admissions Officer put their case.
I was asked if I would like to ask any questions to the Admissions Officer, then the Panel were asked the same.
I then had to explain my reasons for appeal after which the Panel were invited to ask me questions.
They only asked me a couple of questions which were really just to clarify things in my appeal statement.
Then the Admissions Officer was asked to sum up their case followed by me.
I was still shaking when I got back to my car!

When is your Appeal Dayn? I wish you all the luck in the world.
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Hi Dayn

I'm not in your area but our appeal lasted less than 15 minutes. I was asked only one question by each panel member, all pretty insignificant, and spent the next 10 days in a state of paranoia wondering why they hadn't asked me anything.

Our appeal was successful.

Regards
dayn

question for sem

Post by dayn »

Hi,
Thanks for replies.My appeal is towards the end of June, I wonder if all the appeal decisions are sent out on the same date, or does it vary from school to school?