appeal in south warwickshire

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

magwich

Post by magwich »

Please can anyone help with an appeal I am helping another mother with in Stratford upon avon.
We are having problems with a particular employee at the council who attended the appeal hearing and made prejudicial remarks about the child in questions junior school. These remarks seem to have influenced the panel and along with other comments made by this person are at best unprofessional and at worst maladministration.
Does anyone else have any complaints about Warwickshire county council and their staff?
We are also asserting that this child's papers have not been correctly standardised by NFER. The same member of staff states that she has standardised them herself but we do not think this is the case. It would be incredibly helpful if anyone out there could (obviously we do not need names or anything) give us raw and standardised scores along with month of birth for any NFER 11+ but especially warwickshire. The month we are looking for is august but july or indeed any other month would be really great.
Thank you very much indeed
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Magwich

Standardisation Tables are not constant but vary by specific exam, year and cohort.

In the case of Warwickshire the Standardisation would have been undertaken by NFER following analysis of the samples and then tables passed across to Warwickshire LEA.

You should request a copy of the StandardisationTables/Spreadsheet from Warwickshire LEA - I know that this and detailed analysis has been provided in previous years to other parents who appealed against the old Morey House Tests. (There were claims of Cheating at the time)

In previous years Warks have been unusual in standardising against a representative National Sample rather than the cohort - this was a characteristic of the old Morey Hosue Tests which provided a computer programme to do the Standardisation. It may well be that Warks have decided to follow the same process this year in which case the pass scores would be significantly higher than normal local standardised sample scores. (Last year the pass marks was around 259/260 which is approximately 2 x 130!)

Don't forget that the Age Standardisation Process is essentially a curve fitting process in which the scores are adjusted to give the optimum statistical metrics - (See paper by I. P Schagen NFER - App Psychological Measurement - Vol 14, N0. 4 Dec 1990 pp 387-393)

Regards
magwich

Post by magwich »

Thank you very much for that - I did know some of it. We are actually just looking at the standardisation this year. The local authority insist that there is not even one mark difference for the same raw score for a child born in june july or august. We do not find that convincing and are fairly sure that amongst their conflicting asertions they are departing from the truth!
Any info would be helpful thanks
lgasks

Re: appeal in south warwickshire

Post by lgasks »

magwich wrote: We do not find that convincing and are fairly sure that amongst their conflicting asertions they are departing from the truth!
I like that magwich!! :lol: I'm sure I can use it somewhere.... :wink:

regards

lgasks
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Magwich

It's not uncommon for the same raw score for children with a 3 month age difference to have the same standardised score, although typically 2 months would probably be the norm.

If you want some examples of an actual Age standardisation results table against raw scores, take a look at the Key Stage 2 level Threshold tables and Age Standardised scores for the last few years' tests on the QCA Web site:-

http://www.qca.org.uk/libraryAssets/med ... 05_wo1.pdf

The LEA should provide the standardisation table in this case; I obtained the results a few years ago for the KE Foundation after I wrote in requesting it under the Freedom of Information Act.

I also know that last year the LEA were quite helpful in providing evidence to an Appeals parent in the form of a full analysis of the results (after standardisation unfortunately)

Hope this helps

Regards

Ken