Camphill Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GBB

Camphill Boys

Post by GBB »

Hi all
I’m looking for some feedback and advice from parents who have any experience with Camphill Boys.
We currently have a choice between King Edward Stratford and Camphill.
Camphill is closer to us as we live in Solihull, however I’m hearing the pastoral care isn’t great and there are on going issues re behaviour etc at the school. Academically Camphill is great but I’m worried the pastoral care and issues we are hearing about will be a problem.
KES Stratford on the other hand are very big on pastoral care and don’t seem to have the issues we are hearing about at Camphill. However the travelling time is approximately an hour each way from Solihull, compared to 30mins or so to CHB.

Would be really grateful for any advice and input.
Thank you
MSD

Re: Camphill Boys

Post by MSD »

My son currently attends CHB. I am pretty hands-off and probably not the best parent to provide advice and input on what goes on inside the school, but if it helps my son has never raised any concerns on the pastoral care element and he is now in Year 9. I know some other posters like JaneEyre, Turtlegirl, Bob and Um who have children at this school and maybe able to shed further light.

I have come across the following information published by the school, which you may find useful in making your decision.

“Students talk with great enthusiasm about how much they enjoy school” - OFSTED REPORT 2009

"The welfare of pupils is afforded the highest priority at Camp Hill. Under the leadership of the Deputy Head (Pastoral), Form teachers and the seven Pastoral Heads of Year are responsible for pastoral care. Our aim is to encourage boys to be considerate and responsible members of the community. Opportunities for taking responsibility are created through the appointment of Prefects and within the House system. All School Prefects are expected to deliver a full school assembly. Pupil involvement is also promoted by the School Council, whereby the student body is consulted on matters of administration and organisation. In recent years, the School Council has reviewed school rules, the uniform policy and school meals provision; it has advised in the appointment of senior staff. Individual pupils are expected to review their own progress, academic and social, and to agree personal targets with their form teacher. This is formalised in an interview which takes place shortly before the annual Parents' 6 Meeting. We also strongly believe in the value of Citizenship and Personal and Social Education in the curriculum. The scheme of work is reviewed annually in order to reflect changing priorities. School Rules, expectations for Standards, Behaviour, Homework and Anti-Bullying policies are all detailed in a Year Planner which is given to each student. Individual copies of these documents are available on request. The ethos of the school is detailed in the Home-School Agreement, which was produced following consultation with pupils and parents and which all parties are asked to sign."
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

I do not have a child at the school. However on our tour last week a parent raised this issue with the 6th former showing us around. He said that there was often "banter" between the boys which sometimes did go too far but he felt the school did deal with it appropriately. He stated that pupils were put in isolation if required and that staff were quick to sort things out. Again this is only what we were told by one pupil. I definitely felt the pastoral care was better at KEFW but I have no first hand experience and I guess only time will tell. Definitely visit the school if you can.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

MSD wrote:I have come across the following information published by the school, which you may find useful in making your decision.

“Students talk with great enthusiasm about how much they enjoy school” - OFSTED REPORT 2009"
.....I have not heard anything worrying about CHB and have heard lots of positives but a 2009 Ofsted report is 9 years old (over one school generation ago) so I hope someone more current/experienced with the school can reassure the OP! Be assured that all schools have pastoral issues (KES Stratford included), the key is how well the school deals with them. Any school that denies there is bullying is one to avoid - there is, but again it is how they deal with it that counts. I have direct experience of Stratfords pastoral care and it is excellent - I have never heard negatives about CHB and, as MSD says, I am sure JaneEyre can give specifics.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Yes KCG! Unfortunately, that is their most recent Ofsted, which was conducted in 2009. And I copied the entire section from their pastoral care as is and quoted here. And that included the statement from their recent Ofsted :D
GBB

Post by GBB »

Hi all
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I did see the Ofsted report, but felt it was possibly too old to bear any relevance to the school as it currently stands.

We missed the open day in September although we had attended one last year. But we are more clued up on things to ask/ look out for now we have gone through the 11+ process and our son is in yr 6.
As it stands at the moment they are not willing to do any requests for visits, despite the girls school running extra open mornings this week.

Hoping to get some input from parents with boys that are currently there before the deadline for applications next week!
MSD

Post by MSD »

GBB - I know of a parent who managed to secure a visit to CHB, couple of weeks back. They were in the same boat as you and missed the open day. @tonysingh maybe able to help and give some pointers on how to secure a last minute visit :)
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

GBB wrote:Hi all
I’m looking for some feedback and advice from parents who have any experience with Camphill Boys.
Camphill is closer to us as we live in Solihull, however I’m hearing the pastoral care isn’t great and there are on going issues re behaviour etc at the school. Academically Camphill is great but I’m worried the pastoral care and issues we are hearing about will be a problem.
KES Stratford on the other hand are very big on pastoral care and don’t seem to have the issues we are hearing about at Camphill. However the travelling time is approximately an hour each way from Solihull, compared to 30mins or so to CHB.

Thank you

We had similar concerns about all the grammar schools to be honest and wanted to feel reassured by visiting - asking more questions. But when I called CHB on the 22nd of October, I was told they had open mornings this week and were unfortunately full. It's difficult choosing the best option for our children. I have switched the preferences on the CAF several times now, as 2nd choice was a difficult one to make.

All the best!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Skylark wrote:
GBB wrote:Hi all

Thank you

We had similar concerns about all the grammar schools to be honest and wanted to feel reassured by visiting - asking more questions. But when I called CHB on the 22nd of October, I was told they had open mornings this week and were unfortunately full. It's difficult choosing the best option for our children. I have switched the preferences on the CAF several times now, as 2nd choice was a difficult one to make.

All the best!
This is the easy part.The hardest was being in this position whatever you choose will not be wrong and you will not know how the alternative will work out.

Good luck
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
clover4green

Post by clover4green »

my son is currently in CHB, so far so good
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now