GCSE English Language resit Nov 2018 + Further help Needed

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: GCSE English Language resit Nov 2018 + Further help Need

Post by Amber »

Sonia wrote:Please can you share their email address so that I can email them tonight
Sorry, I really have no idea, and am not even in your area. I expect it can be found on the school website. If not, try the local authority.
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

Guest55 wrote:Priority marking wasn't available for GCSE so that additional fee was no paid to Edexcel by the school. I'd write a letter to the school and complain about the charges - they might be entitled to charge an admin fee but not what you have paid.

Free access described here:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/s ... ripts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

contact us: https://www.whs.bucks.sch.uk/contact" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ring and ask for the Chair of Governors e-mail
Thanks again Amber and Gues55.

I will ring school office tomorrow morning.
piggys

Post by piggys »

Sonia wrote:
DD is now planning to resit the English Language Paper in November 2018. :(

After quickly going through her scrips I am very disppointed :( :( the way she has done the paper and the individual score she has received in her scripts.

Is there are chance I can get official mark scheme of these papers as I think it is very important for DD to know what she has done wrong how to avoid the same thin happening in her A Levels.

Do you mean you are disappointed with what your dd has written, or with the way the paper has been marked?
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

piggys wrote:
Sonia wrote:

After quickly going through her scrips I am very disppointed :( :( the way she has done the paper and the individual score she has received in her scripts.

Is there are chance I can get official mark scheme of these papers as I think it is very important for DD to know what she has done wrong how to avoid the same thin happening in her A Levels.

Do you mean you are disappointed with what your dd has written, or with the way the paper has been marked?
Yes I was very disappointed the way DD has written in her both Language papers, I am not a teacher so can not comment on the level of marking.
As she was only 2 marks away from Grade 6, so thought its a good idea to go for remark, unfortunately no luck after remark of boh the English Language papaers, raw marks / Grade still the same.

Now she will resit in November to improve her English Language grade.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Sonia wrote:
piggys wrote:
Sonia wrote:

Yes I was very disappointed the way DD has written in her both Language papers, I am not a teacher so can not comment on the level of marking.
As she was only 2 marks away from Grade 6, so thought its a good idea to go for remark, unfortunately no luck after remark of boh the English Language papaers, raw marks / Grade still the same.

Now she will resit in November to improve her English Language grade.

Hello, sorry, as I may not have understood clearly. But my question is why are you making the DC resit in Nov, as 5 is a clear pass. Will your priority school (WHS) admit the child after the results of the resit?

Also, you will have to mention the resit in UCAS when applying for universities.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

For some courses at some unis, the requirement english language grade can be higher than a 4/5 pass.

One of the ones DD is interested in ask for a minimum of a 6 and are more likely to give offers to those with a 7 for English language and maths.

Whether a resit would be acceptable in that case is another issue.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Tinkers wrote:For some courses at some unis, the requirement english language grade can be higher than a 4/5 pass.

One of the ones DD is interested in ask for a minimum of a 6 and are more likely to give offers to those with a 7 for English language and maths.

Whether a resit would be acceptable in that case is another issue.
The situation is like having 'a bird in hand than two in the bush'. As the DC has already got a 5, and they resit, then they are putting the 5 in danger; also will get highlighted in their UCAS form as resit.

I am aware that many universities require a 6 for English language (ie for medicine), but there are a fair few who accept 5 also. After all, one only needs 4 university options to enter. Only suggesting make an informed decision.
Sonia

Post by Sonia »

I was away, so was unable to give an update on DD English Language resit result.

DD scored grade 6 in her resits (she was 4 marks away from grade 7) but again she is happy.

Once again thanks to all the members.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Thanks for letting us know.