Travelling to queen marys for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Slater25

Travelling to queen marys for girls

Post by Slater25 »

Hi can anyone tell me what the travel is like to an for girls on the bus from Sutton. I know that it goes from jockey road and they need to be there for 7.30 ish but what’s the walk like when you get off the bus. Also is this a dedicated school bus or is it for general public aswell?
helen0209

Re: Travelling to queen marys for girls

Post by helen0209 »

Slater25 wrote:Hi can anyone tell me what the travel is like to an for girls on the bus from Sutton. I know that it goes from jockey road and they need to be there for 7.30 ish but what’s the walk like when you get off the bus. Also is this a dedicated school bus or is it for general public aswell?
Pretty certain it’s a public bus. The Network West Midlands site will give you the timings of the service. Why don’t you try it in half term with your daughter to see what the walk is like?

It’s been said on this forum many times, but travel time is an extremely important factor to consider when choosing a school. Would imagine she would need to be up by 06:15 every day and not get home till 17:00 at the earliest (on the days there are no after school clubs). Would Sutton Girls be a closer option?
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

My son gets the bus to QMGS (boys) so can't speak for the walk. It is a public bus and can be busy (but your daughter will get a seat easily getting on in Sutton).

We buy a weekly pass. The route especially from The Foley Arms to Walsall can get really congested at times due to it being the main route.

The buses run every half hour or so and can take 45/1 hr depending on traffic and without any walking included in that.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

The 7.30 from Jockey Road cuts it too fine for QMGS start at 8.45, so depending on QMHS and start time I would imagine you'd need to get the one half hour before. The route goes on various detours and is not a 'straight' drive from Sutton to Walsall.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

The walk from Walsall is 0.5 miles (9 mins on foot according to Maps) but it would take me more like 20 minutes!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Final note (if you try the bus route in half term it will be completely different on the roads due to lack of school run traffic).
I'm a 6 minute drive to QM normally. In rush hour this can become 35 mins...
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Slater25 wrote:Hi can anyone tell me what the travel is like to an for girls on the bus from Sutton. I know that it goes from jockey road and they need to be there for 7.30 ish but what’s the walk like when you get off the bus. Also is this a dedicated school bus or is it for general public aswell?
I believe there are two bus service routes namely the 6 and 77 services.These are public services.They follow different routes and it will depend on where in Sutton you live and do come from the centre.When I looked up the routes previously I recall one route had stops at bus stops in front of QMHS both routes have buses going on to the bus station in the centre. The services are anything from 30 minutes to 45 to 55 minutes when the traffic is busiest.Its a very short and safe route from the bus station to the school. Depending on your speed the route takes 5 to 10 minutes and is taken by numerous girls each day.I am not aware of a school bus to QMHS other than the green bus coming from Birmingham districts.

Good luck with your school allocations.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln