Proposed admission Criteria B'ham Grammars 2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tom40

Re: Proposed admission Criteria B'ham Grammars 2020

Post by tom40 »

Sally-Anne wrote:The School Admissions Code requires the Admission Arrangements to be determined by 28th February each year, and they must be published on the Local Authority website by 15th March latest.
Thanks for the info.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

With all the debate on this thread I am surprised to see the consultation received only 13 responses or have I misread that?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

BucksBornNBred wrote:With all the debate on this thread I am surprised to see the consultation received only 13 responses or have I misread that?
I wouldn’t be surprised. For all that people have a rant on social media or forums such as this, surprisingly few actually send their responses to the school, which is the only place worth writing to. It’s the only thing the schools are going to seriously consider

My DDs school has just gone through a consultation process for admissions, and while I saw a bit of a kerfuffle on local FB groups and even a petition or two, in fact not that many actually emailed or wrote in. Of those that did, quite a number were in favour of the proposed admissions changes.

(The petition itself was mentioned in the notes the school released, along with the fact that 19% of those signing don’t live in the catchment area and some actually live outside the UK. A number signed the same petition online and on paper too. That didn’t do them any favours. However even the numbers signing the petition (wanting changes to the proposed admissions criteria) didn’t match the numbers actually writing/emailing saying the same thing.)
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

BucksBornNBred wrote:With all the debate on this thread I am surprised to see the consultation received only 13 responses or have I misread that?
I saw that too and presumed there must be an error. I know of at least 7 responses that were sent. 4 were from family members.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

thirdtimemum wrote:
I saw that too and presumed there must be an error. I know of at least 7 responses that were sent. 4 were from family members.
But unless by at least 7, you actually mean, 19 or more, you can't know that the ones that you know about don't actually represent just over a third of the total?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

ToadMum wrote:
thirdtimemum wrote:
But unless by at least 7, you actually mean, 19 or more, you can't know that the ones that you know about don't actually represent just over a third of the total?
Of course but I would be surprised that people I know have submitted over half of the 13 responses.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

I saw that too and at the time it shocked me. I was anticipating thousands to respond. Could it be an error? Specially with all the attention it garnered.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

It has to an error surely? I can't believe something that big would only have 13 responses?? I can't remember how many responses our school had to their consultation but I am fairly sure it was much bigger than that. Is there any way they could have removed responses based on, I don't know, profanities? Just seems small especially after it made the newspapers.
tom40

Post by tom40 »

I think the 13 responses mentioned are for a previous consultation. If you look at the top of the page it says 'Updated 4 Sep 2018'
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

tom40 wrote:I think the 13 responses mentioned are for a previous consultation. If you look at the top of the page it says 'Updated 4 Sep 2018'
You are right! But then it says the consultation was opened 19 Nov 18. Good to see BDC's website is as helpful as WDC's :roll: