Sutton stage 1 exams for diff. schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sate

Sutton stage 1 exams for diff. schools

Post by Sate »

Hi. I'm not only new to secondary schools here but new to the country as well. It's all very confusing. If I'll like to apply for both Sutton Grammar School and Wilson's School, how many Stage 1 tests must my son take?

Thanks!
scary mum

Re: Sutton stage 1 exams for diff. schools

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum.

There is some information on these pages. I would recommend you also check the local council website & the school website for information as the page has not been updated for a little while.
scary mum
anonymparent

Post by anonymparent »

For 2019 entry, all the Sutton schools (girls and boys) used same SET (Selective Eligibility Test).
The result of the test was used by different schools differently.
Greenshaw and Wallington Boys used result from this test to select boys for the selective places.
Wilson and Sutton Grammar used this result to shortlist candidates for the second round test.

The second round test for Wilson and Sutton Grammsr school was also common, however each school uses different standardisation and selection criteria. Hence being selected in one school did not guarantee selection in the other.

All the above was for 2018 test and 2019 entry.
As scary mum suggested, you should check local council website and school website for exact details for the year you are interested in.
Sate

Post by Sate »

Thanks so much. I that's very helpful! Now I know that my son only need to take one Stage 1 test if we intend to apply for more than one of the Sutton Schools. (assuming he passes it!)

I have looked at their websites but it's all very confusing. Say we are keen to apply for Wilson's and Sutton Grammar School, do we then register online at both of those school websites or do we apply to the Sutton Council for the exam? :?:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Details here. This is the Wilson's website admissions page, but I imagine the same information is on the other schools' websites.
scary mum
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Sate wrote:
I have looked at their websites but it's all very confusing. Say we are keen to apply for Wilson's and Sutton Grammar School, do we then register online at both of those school websites or do we apply to the Sutton Council for the exam? :?:
You only register for the State 1 test (the SET) once. You can do it via any of the participating schools' websites. Your son will then have to sit the SET at one of the Sutton schools (you will be told which one in an email with all the arrangements) and again it doesn't matter which school you sit the SET at, the score will apply for all the schools in Sutton.

Wilsons and Sutton then use the SET to filter for a second stage test whereas Wallington Boys and Greenshaw just use the SET.
Sate

Post by Sate »

Thank you!