Experience of Newstead Woods

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Advice2018

Re: Experience of Newstead Woods

Post by Advice2018 »

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the school now being mixed at 6 th form? I have always wanted my daughter to go to a girls school, does the mixed sixth form impact on the lower years at all?
Someone posted a interesting question about Newstead vs Bromley High on independent forum- I asked them to move it in Bexley/Bromley forum as might get more replies.
Does anyone have any regrets moving to Newstead rather than another school? Everything I’ve heard on here is very positive, which is great but if anyone has any negative experiences or wouldn’t recommend the school I would love to know too. Maybe there are none.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

It has been mixed for as long as I know it but I see the Wikipedia page says recently changed but wasn’t aware that it was recent. The main challenge with the sixth form is retention, they lose a lot of girls to the now expanded St Olaves sixth form, hence great results at GCSE but they get a fair intake from other schools for sixth form. DD (Y9) says there are not many boys in the sixth form. It doesn't impact on lower school other than DD really liked most of the girls who put themselves forward for Head Girl but the field of candidates from the boys was less 'engaging' and relevant she says. For example the girls want good toilet facilities (not amazing at Newstead but not atrocious either. Toilets are certainly not on a par with Bromley High) and champion against things like period poverty and the tampon tax which they do with gusto in the lower school without any worry and with much support from male and female teachers. Whilst the sixth formers do help with clubs etc, it is really not that different from having male teachers so only a positive influence that my DD can see.

I think BH suffers from girls wanting to stay too, I see in the latest tables that they only had 44 for A levels, that is going to diminish options, choices and friendships, Newstead had 136. I know many girls who've been through BH and by sixth form they really have had enough of the same school that maybe they've been in since reception.
Advice2018

Post by Advice2018 »

Thank you that’s really useful to know- I though they had just recently changed it.
I know A level results at Newstead not as good as GCSE but when I was reading the
Governer minutes from September 2018 on the website it said school was actively looking into it, which is good to know. GCSE results at Newstead pretty amazing though considering that they admit students purely on verbal or non verbal ability and don’t measure maths/English ability directly at 11 plus.
Hope the sixth formers campaign for better toilets is successful! Girls spend majority of their day at school and basic facilities like that are really important!
I drove past newstead other day just to have a look again from outside and was impressed with the new security gates because it’s completely enclosed now which is good.
I think academically Newstead is amazing and from everything I’ve gathered pastoral care is improved greatly to previously. I hope the school is granted some money to spend on facilities as I think that is what let’s it down at present.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

They have a retention issue in year 11 as evidenced in their minutes over the last few years. Many leave for other sixth forms, many for StO. They have been looking at this for quite a few years now. They do need money for facilities but they do well with what they have. Joining an large academy trust in late 2017 was supposed to help with this. Has the trust given them any money?
thickasabrick

Post by thickasabrick »

They do need money for facilities but they do well with what they have. Joining an large academy trust in late 2017 was supposed to help with this. Has the trust given them any money?
I don't believe that's how it works - it think it's the other way round - the school's budget will go to the trust and then is allocated from one central pot to all schools - I don't think it is ring fenced.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

thickasabrick wrote:
They do need money for facilities but they do well with what they have. Joining an large academy trust in late 2017 was supposed to help with this. Has the trust given them any money?
I don't believe that's how it works - it think it's the other way round - the school's budget will go to the trust and then is allocated from one central pot to all schools - I don't think it is ring fenced.
It was explained to parents during the consultation as being a 5% slice off the budget (if I remember correctly), I didn't get the impression the entire budget it goes into a central pot, but a proportion gets sliced off the budget and then goes to UL. The school then get things in return like software and training and admin support. The school have recently upgraded its Microsoft Office softwareand got more tools like a booking system for parents evenings but otherwise as far as the pupils and parents are concerned there has been no noticeable difference under United Learning.
Advice2018

Post by Advice2018 »

I was just reading online that the government is increasing funding for grammar education.

“The first round of the Selective Schools Expansion Fund (SSEF) will provide funding of £49.3 million for 16 expansion projects. This will create over 2,700 more grammar school places.

The fair access and partnership plans of the 16 successful schools from the first round of the Selective Schools Expansion Fund can be accessed here. These plans set out the actions the schools have committed to take to increase the numbers of pupil premium pupils applying for and obtaining a place. The first year of implementation for these plans is the 2020 school year.”

The first 16 schools have been selected, Newstead wasn’t on the list but I think this is the reason they increased pupil premium places to apply for this.
Has anyone heard anything about Newstead applying for this?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Newstead put PP places in their consultation about admissions before the announcement about this funding and also they are not increasing PAN so on both counts I understand that is a no.

They’ve looked at expanding in the past but minutes from Bromley Council say the school would need a massive capital injection to do this as key facilities like halls and catering are already bursting at the seams. The school used to admit three classes in the eighties, since that time it has grown and adapted its buildings etc so now there are six classes per year. Girls are encouraged to leave bags in lockers and not walk about school with bags as literally there is no room for girls plus bags, they have the girls in shifts for lunch and so have found ways to cope with the increased numbers but any girl at Newstead will tell you there just isn’t room for more unless they razed the current structure to the ground rebuilt.
Advice2018

Post by Advice2018 »

Thanks Pettswood Fiona- I had a look at names of schools that were rejected and they weren’t on there. Interestingly Chis and Sid applied for it though but were rejected.

The recent progress 8 for 2018 Bromley schools published- Newstead did really well:

Overall performance at end of key stage 4 in 2018 - progress 8

‘Well above average’:

St Olave’s and St Saviour’s Grammar School: 0.93

Newstead Wood School: 0.93

Harris Girls Academy Bromley: 0.7

Langley Park School for Girls: 0.55

‘Above average’:

Bullers Wood School: 0.37

Harris Academy Beckenham: 0.33

‘Average’:

Chislehurst School for Girls: 0.18

Charles Darwin School: 0.09

Hayes School: 0.04

Harris Academy Orpington: -0.01

Darrick Wood School: -0.04

Ravens Wood School: -0.05

Bishop Justus CofE School: -0.13

‘Below average’:

Langley Park School for Boys: -0.22

The Ravensbourne School: -0.33

Coopers School: -0.38

Kemnal Technology College: -0.43

‘Well below average’:

Glebe School: -1.22

Majorie McClure School: -1.26

London South East Colleges: -2.46

Bromley Beacon Academy: -2.93

No data is available for independent schools or schools which did not have pupils sit GCSEs this year.
Advice2018

Post by Advice2018 »

Recent ofsted report says:

Similarly, assessment information in 2017 and 2018 provisional information suggest
that students studying mathematics and science A levels made less progress than other students nationally relative to their starting points.
It also mentioned maths in lower years. Also on mumsnet mentions problems with science
due to a national science shortage.
Have those with children at Newstead noticed this?
The progress 8 is great so that wouldn’t fit with teaching problems?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now