Bucks successful SR but should i appeal for Slough?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yazzhussain

Bucks successful SR but should i appeal for Slough?

Post by yazzhussain »

Hi all

Some advice please. My DD has had a successful SR ( just found out this morning!) for Bucks, but as we live in Slough, just wondering whether I should appeal for a Slough place also as the only Bucks school I listed on my allocations was Burnham GS, all others were Slough GS. I’m just worried that I might get allocated another Bucks school if they cannot offer me Burnham GS, and it would be too far to get to i.e Beccy High. Is that how it works? Or will they have to give me the Bucks GS I have in my allocations? Not sure how it all works as DD is my first born. I’m thinking if I go for Slough appeals then at least I will have Slough options too if successful, or will I be jeopardising my Bucks school place by doing so? Any advice will be appreciated, many thanks.

Yasmin
Tinkers

Re: Bucks successful SR but should i appeal for Slough?

Post by Tinkers »

If your LA can’t offer you any school in your CAF they will allocate you a place at a school with places. This could be anywhere, although it’s likely to be your nearest school with places (and probably one you really wouldn’t want). I highly doubt you will be given another Bucks GS though, as I’m sure they will be full of those who actually applied for them.

This is why you should always put a school on your CAF you are OK with and are pretty sure you will get.

I believe Slough appeals are notoriously difficult to win, however appealing will not affect your Burnham place, should you (fingers crossed for you) be allocated Burnham.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

yazzhussain wrote:Hi all

Some advice please. My DD has had a successful SR ( just found out this morning!) for Bucks, but as we live in Slough, just wondering whether I should appeal for a Slough place also as the only Bucks school I listed on my allocations was Burnham GS, all others were Slough GS. I’m just worried that I might get allocated another Bucks school if they cannot offer me Burnham GS, and it would be too far to get to i.e Beccy High. Is that how it works? Or will they have to give me the Bucks GS I have in my allocations? Not sure how it all works as DD is my first born. I’m thinking if I go for Slough appeals then at least I will have Slough options too if successful, or will I be jeopardising my Bucks school place by doing so? Any advice will be appreciated, many thanks.

Yasmin
Congratulations on your successful appeal.
Sorry I can't really help with your questions but I know that the Slough appeals are more complicated.
I think that you may have to wait and see which school your DC is allocated on 1st March and go from there.
I'm sure someone will help with your queries soon.

Can I ask what your DCs score was for Bucks please?
yazzhussain

Post by yazzhussain »

Thank you for the advice, I think that’s a good shout to wait and see what school DD gets allocated before deciding on the Slough appeal.

Rhianne - my DD got a 119 score :D
yazzhussain

Post by yazzhussain »

DD received 110 in slough so thought she probably has a good chance of succeeding, but not sure now!
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

yazzhussain wrote:Thank you for the advice, I think that’s a good shout to wait and see what school DD gets allocated before deciding on the Slough appeal.

Thank you, i'm asking because my friend is waiting for her DDs review result.

If you do appeal to Slough, it would be good if you can document that journey on here as there is next to no Slough appeal info here.

Best of luck
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

yazzhussain wrote:DD received 110 in slough so thought she probably has a good chance of succeeding, but not sure now!
Gosh! she was soooo close to both qualifying scores, how frustrating for you all.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'd be very surprised if you don't get Burnham Grammar from Slough.
scary mum
yazzhussain

Post by yazzhussain »

rhiane wrote:
yazzhussain wrote:Thank you for the advice, I think that’s a good shout to wait and see what school DD gets allocated before deciding on the Slough appeal.

Thank you, i'm asking because my friend is waiting for her DDs review result.

If you do appeal to Slough, it would be good if you can document that journey on here as there is next to no Slough appeal info here.

Best of luck

I will definitely do that :)
KatharineB

Post by KatharineB »

yazzhussain wrote:DD received 110 in slough so thought she probably has a good chance of succeeding, but not sure now!
My goodness you are literally us last year! Mine got exactly the same scores in both exams as your DC. We also were successful at SR for Bucks and probably had a very strong case for a Slough appeal but didn't actually bother going down that route in the end. We felt BGS was the most SEN welcoming and didn't want that stress and uncertainty of not knowing where our DC would be going.

You will almost definitely get Burnham GS being in Slough based on distance if it is on your CAF. There is a coach that takes people home as far as Hayes in year 7 so if it is on your CAF you can feel very secure that you will get a place. It is a fab underated school. They were higher on the league tables this year than 2 Slough Grammars for GCSEs and higher than all the Slough Grammars for A Levels (Source: The Telegraph). For me it would depend on where in Slough you are based due to car traffic in the morning and also on if you thought a Slough one was a better fit.

Congratulations on the selection review. Definitely something to celebrate this weekend!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now