KEGS - allocation of places 121-150

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DSDSDD

KEGS - allocation of places 121-150

Post by DSDSDD »

For KEGS, is my understanding correct in that places 121-150 (out of the PAN of 150) are not exclusive to only o/c, but are based purely on rank, including both i/c AND o/c, once the first 120 have been allocated to only i/c students? So theoretically, all 150 places could go to i/c with zero allocation to o/c?

Extract from the 2019 admissions policy:

4. Over-subscription for entry in Year 7
a) Where applications for admission exceed the number of places available in Year 7 places will be
awarded in rank order from the tests as follows:
i) Firstly, to the top 120 boys in the selection test who made this school one of their
preferences and who live within the priority area i.e. within a distance of 12.5 miles from the
school (see section 5 below) on 1st September at the start of Year 6, unless they have been
offered a place at a school for which they expressed a higher preference.
ii) Secondly, to the top 30 boys in the selection test out of the remaining candidates who made
this school one of their preferences, regardless of where they live.
ToadMum

Re: KEGS - allocation of places 121-150

Post by ToadMum »

DSDSDD wrote:For KEGS, is my understanding correct in that places 121-150 (out of the PAN of 150) are not exclusive to only o/c, but are based purely on rank, including both i/c AND o/c, once the first 120 have been allocated to only i/c students? So theoretically, all 150 places could go to i/c with zero allocation to o/c?

Extract from the 2019 admissions policy:

4. Over-subscription for entry in Year 7
a) Where applications for admission exceed the number of places available in Year 7 places will be
awarded in rank order from the tests as follows:
i) Firstly, to the top 120 boys in the selection test who made this school one of their
preferences and who live within the priority area i.e. within a distance of 12.5 miles from the
school (see section 5 below) on 1st September at the start of Year 6, unless they have been
offered a place at a school for which they expressed a higher preference.
ii) Secondly, to the top 30 boys in the selection test out of the remaining candidates who made
this school one of their preferences, regardless of where they live.
Yes, that's the policy and yes, there is a theoretical possibility that all 150 places will go to applicants living in the priority admissions area. But it isn't very likely to happen. The 2018/19 ECC booklet doesn't have details of '2017: last child admitted under criterion x' As it does for the comprehensive schools (possibly because the residence bit isn't an actual separate criterion), but if you contact the school, they may be able / willing to give you some idea of the split?

And it was the policy at the time that registration to sit the exam had to be made (and for several years previously); it's not something that the school suddenly put into its admissions policy since the results came out.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

ToadMum wrote:And it was the policy at the time that registration to sit the exam had to be made (and for several years previously); it's not something that the school suddenly put into its admissions policy since the results came out.
Thank you for responding and I wasn't implying otherwise. Just wanted to clarify as this differs from e.g. WHSB, where again if I'm not mistaken, of the PAN of 185, 139 places are initially for i/c (if not fully allocated to i/c, then also made open to o/c), with the remaining 46 specifically for o/c candidates.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DSDSDD wrote:
ToadMum wrote:And it was the policy at the time that registration to sit the exam had to be made (and for several years previously); it's not something that the school suddenly put into its admissions policy since the results came out.
Thank you for responding and I wasn't implying otherwise. Just wanted to clarify as this differs from e.g. WHSB, where again if I'm not mistaken, of the PAN of 185, 139 places are initially for i/c (if not fully allocated to i/c, then also made open to o/c), with the remaining 46 specifically for o/c candidates.
Apologies.

So if you are OOC for both schools, Westcliff is a better bet, although ease of journey may be a consideration when comparing the two, given their relative locations with regard to nearest railway station.

You are also correct on both counts with regard to WHSB :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

Thank you.
ayparents

Post by ayparents »

During KEGS open day event held after CSSE results, headteacher alluded about the rules surrounding this topic.
FortunateMumof2

Post by FortunateMumof2 »

Hi,

I am in dilemma of kegs or WestCliff. When i met with people i thought Kegs would be worlds best school but after reading comments on the forum and google reviews seems like its not. Another point of view is, as time is coming closer feels like its going to be WestClif ffor us. Can some one please let me know how WestCliffis different than Kegs? Does it really makes a difference if boy goes to WestCliff or Kegs? Does the Kegs boys goes to better university places than WestCliff? Does kegs prepare more better for GCSE? Does it really matter IC or OC, in terms of friends and study, as we are OC for both the schools. Lots of questions. Please help.

A Worried Mum
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

I may stand corrected.

It has been bought to my attention that WHSB do have the same policy as KEGS, i.e. places other than the exclusive I/C, are open to both I/C and OOC candidates.

Has there been a change in the WHSB admissions policy?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

http://www.southend.gov.uk/download/dow ... 202021.pdf

Children whose normal/habitual
place of residence (as assessed in
the terms provided, annually, in
the Southend Local Authority
secondary admissions booklet)
lies within the priority area
postcode areas SS0, SS1, SS2,
SS3, SS4, SS5, SS6, SS7, SS8 and
SS9, subject to their passing the
selection tests
. A local quota of up
to 80% of the Published Admissions
Nummber (PAN) is reserved at this
School for children in this category
(148 )

So still the same - the local quota of places is still only up to a maximum of less than the total number of places available.
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

I was referring to the remaining 20% (37 places). It would seem that they are open to both I/C and OOC. My previous understanding was that these were allocated exclusively to OOC candidates only (which is what I intimated in one of my earlier posts above).