If your DD sat stage 2 of the Tiffin Girls' School exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kaira

Re: If your DD sat stage 2 of the Tiffin Girls' School exam

Post by Kaira »

Thank you stroller for this information.
Can you help advise, what is the percentage score that you quote? Is it raw score % or standardized score %?
Also, what would you expect cutoff raw score for this year TGS?

Thank you again for your guidance
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

Not sure if Stroller visits the site as often as in the past.... but for the cut-offs for 2019 entry, you only have the last 2 years of scores - 2017 and 2018 entries. Prior to this the cut-off scores were double digits (50.nn, 49.nn etc) but from 2017 onward they were in triple digits (100.nn etc). Not sure what changed since 2017 entry!!!

Considering that the initial cutoff 2017 was 103.73 and for 2018 was 106.5, the cut-off will probably be somewhere in that range.
Kaira

Post by Kaira »

Thank you, but are these cut offs raw mark percentage or some standardized score?
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

Kaira wrote:Thank you, but are these cut offs raw mark percentage or some standardized score?
They were definitely standardised scores for 2018 entry.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

I’ve now compiled the latest data, updating the sticky for 2019 entry. You’ll see that I’ve tried to link to sources throughout. Numbers that didn’t come from other posters on this forum were sourced from Kingston Secondary School Admissions brochures over the years; some of those are no longer available online, but I think the data is still interesting enough to include. A big thank you to every poster who is generous enough to share accurate data as their daughters work their way through the admissions process.

My thanks to the Moderators for implementing the suggested amendments and structure, especially Mitasol and Tinkers.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
thebolds

Post by thebolds »

Thanks so much for this work - it is really helpful. Are there any figures on the breakdown of children from designated area versus inner area who are successful in applying following the new admissions arrangements? We are inner area but I am struggling to understand the benefit of taking 60 children who score above the 350th ranked place if this just reflects the population applying.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

I haven’t come across that data. I suspect the updated admissions arrangements were designed to encourage inner area applicants and to make it less likely that an inner area applicant could miss out on being offered a place because of a trivial score difference.

Only the school knows how often that inner area criterion makes a difference and helps a local child whose score would otherwise have been just short of qualifying, but their admission arrangements are carefully considered and they must have had a reason to introduce the change.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Jushy80

Post by Jushy80 »

Hi I wonder if anyone can help... my daughter passed first round TGS so I put it third on my form as we live right next to Nonsuch and put Nonsuch as first choice. We put Wallington second only because we're also just in the catchment for it (but it's very awkward to get there) and it's the same exam as Nonsuch which we knew she's passed. Not knowing the second stage result for TGS was the problematic bit for us. Anyway now she's been given Wallington and the main reason I didn't put TGS first was because I didn't want to lose Nonsuch. In hindsight I should have put Tiffin second but I think Tiffin only takes children who put it as their first choice? My Q is how do I get back on the waiting list for Tiffin...should I phone them or write - what's the procedure? Very confused now!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't know the procedure for waiting lists, others might do. You can call the school in Monday and view ask. It is a myth that a s school will only take you if you put them first. They have no way of knowing where you put them & have to follow the admission criteria.
scary mum
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

It’s not true to say that schools only offer places to those who rank them #1. That’s a myth, the schools don’t know the order in which you ranked them. You’ll be allocated the highest preference school on your list for which you qualify, or failing that the nearest one that still has a space.
The order of preference in which you list your schools is confidential. Schools are not told the preference order in which you have listed them.
 Each school listed on your application considers your child’s application against its admission criteria only and not according to the order of preference you put the school on your application. This guarantees that, for example, an application from a parent who has ranked the school as sixth preference is considered equally to an application where the school is ranked as first preference.
 If your child meets the admission criteria for more than one school, your home council will look at your preference order and you will be offered the highest preference school for which your child has met the admission criteria.
 If your home council is not able to offer your child a place at any of the schools you applied for, you will be offered, where possible, a place at another school.
Source: https://www.kingston.gov.uk/download/do ... e_2019.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Start within the allocations tool to see if there’s a way to change the priority order of your list. If you do that and rank TGS higher, that should put you on the waiting list. If you can’t see how to do that, contact your home borough and ask for instructions.

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now