Habs vs NLCS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sw3

Habs vs NLCS

Post by sw3 »

No constraints on location, a bit financial stress but can cope if choosing NLCS (as habs gave some scholarship).

I know people will say choosing the right school for DD, but honestly I don't know how to judge the right one. And to a large extent, DDs' view is influenced by parents?

My worry is if DD goes to NLCS she will have fewer chances to shine. My feeling is Habs is a bit casual and NLCS is rigid. Besides that, wondering how different these two schools are in terms of teaching and school activities? which one is more pushy?

Thanks.
Last edited by sw3 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Re: A major scholarship from Habs vs a small one from NLCS

Post by Daogroupie »

You have spent time in both schools.

You have met the girls.

Which school do you think reflects her personality better?

They have quite a different style. DG
shootmenow

Re: Habs vs NLCS

Post by shootmenow »

Rigid is not a word I would ever associate with NLCS. I've been a parent there for 16 years. Not sure I can help with a comparison as we just went to open day with DD2 and she thought it was too formal (6th formers in academic gowns). If you have specific questions about NLCS, PM.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have spent a lot of time at Habs and have never seen anyone in academic gowns, let alone a sixth former.

My dd applied for the sixth form there and spent the day there partly in lessons and did not see anyone in a gown.

I find Habs very friendly but certainly serious about academic success. DG
Earningaplace

Post by Earningaplace »

When my daughter went to her interview at Habs all the 6th formers were dress in red gowns, so were the prefects,
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I stand corrected.

Must have been brought in more recently. DG
guesswho

Post by guesswho »

it is true 6th form/prefects do wear gowns on "formal" occasions such as showing parents around or when they are helping at events. Funnily enough, i had never thought about it coming across as strange! In truth, on a normal school day the 6th form girls are a reassuringly scruffy lot! It is, like NLCS a school where the expectation is that you work hard in every area of school life. Achievement and effort are highly praised. For the right girl (and clearly your DD is, having been offered a scholarship!) it is a very happy,challenging but also fun environment. Honestly don't think there is much to choose between NLCS and Habs so it comes down to a very personal instinct about which school feels more right for you and your daughter. Lovely choice to have. Well done.
examprepper

Post by examprepper »

The prefects are the ones in red gowns at Habs, the other sixth formers don't have them. They have had them since my own school days 30 years ago so not new.

My DD is at Habs now and I wouldn't say it is casual - more an environment to foster independent young women.

I can't help with a comparison as DD didn't apply to NLCS.
sw3

Post by sw3 »

Thank you all!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Where does your dd want to go? DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now