GCSE English Language - SPAG

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BlueBerry22

GCSE English Language - SPAG

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Bit of a weird question but does GCSE English publish separate marks for the Content and the SPAG element.

Just asking as DS has been marked properly for the first time on a mock paper. He has always had very good marks and the mock result has shocked us.

20 out of 24 for content – ie: shows he writes very well – I understand this to be approx. Grade 7 but then only 3 out of 16 for SPAG – which takes him overall down to just a GCSE grade 4.

He is hoping to study English Language as an A Level but he simply cannot spell (he is dyslexic) – however he can write a good piece. He needs at least a 6 to get on his chosen course. We thought this was more than possible.

Just wondering if he can show that the content is good whether a college might accept him and to do that he would need to have 2 separate marks on results day.

I can’t find anything on google – am just devastated for him as it always looked like he would achieve well in this subject and when it comes down to it – everything is done in real life on a computer using a spell checker.
scary mum

Re: GCSE English Language - SPAG

Post by scary mum »

I'm pretty sure he will only get one mark, but piggy's will be able to confirm.

There is plenty of time between now and June. Will the teachers at school be able to give him some extra help? I wouldn't panic too much as this is the value of mocks - to find the weak spots.
Having said that, if he struggles in this area, wouldn't an English language A level be a little stressful?
scary mum
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Hi Scary Mum,

He only struggles with spelling - the content is very good - vocab is good, structure sound - just lots of KS2 words incorrectly spelt so the content of A level Language seems accessible.

Just not sure if teacher was too harsh in marking. Have dropped them a line to try and understand but in the meantime wondered if anyone here knew what was published.
solimum

Post by solimum »

This might be a useful guide

https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/348009-th ... -spag-.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In fact it looks so useful I'm tempted to print out a copy for the cover teacher taking a recent Yr English lesson I was in....

Maybe he can concentrate on picking up maximum P and G points, and focus on a few particularly common spellings (simile and metaphor spring to mind...) - others may have specific dyslexia-friendly advice
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Thanks Solimum - that looks great - thank you very much - will print off and go through over half term.