WHSG or Old Palace with good scholarship

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Moon unit

Re: WHSG or Old Palace with good scholarship

Post by Moon unit »

I think what is expected of a scholar varies quite a bit.Our daughters letter says her scholarship is dependent on participation in the scholars programme. We haven't explored what that is yet as we are are really hoping for a grammar.
One reason I didn't let either of mine do sport or music scholarships was I didn't want them to be forced to continue with sport or music at a high level if their interests had changed.
Sammysilver

Post by Sammysilver »

I'm in a similar position - been offered Academic Scholarship/Head's Award with Old Palace but waiting to see if my daughter has got into Wallington/ Nonsuch. I assume the meeting at Old Palace tomorrow evening for those offered academic scholarships will be clear about the expectations of the scholars. I also imagine it will also be a last attempt hard sell for us to choose them over the grammars!
SurreyMumOf2

Post by SurreyMumOf2 »

Dear parents, we are in a similar situation - with a scholarship offer from OP and awaiting results for Nonsuch grammar.

What did you go for in the end? And are you happy with your choice?

What is the Scholars programme like at OP?

We will be stretched financially even with the scholarship but wondering if that stretching is worth it OR whether to just go for grammar if we get an offer?

Any advice would be really welcome :)

Thank you!
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

If OP would cause financial pressure and you get a grammar offer I would personally choose the latter.
Anything that brings stress into a household is to be avoided in my opinion if possible.
Lots going on at Nonsuch and WHSG.
I don’t think your daughter would be worse off.
My two got indie scholarships and we choose grammar for both.
We’ve not regretted it.
My son did GCSEs last year and he got as much support as his friends at independents.
Teachers went more than the extra mile to help.
When we did have a ( thankfully) brief redundancy in our house school fees didn’t add to the pressure.
I think with the economic uncertainty in the UK grammar school places will be even more sought after.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now