Habs boys vs St. Paul’s boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
elevenPlusMummy

Habs boys vs St. Paul’s boys

Post by elevenPlusMummy »

Hi, my DS has been offered both and we will visit on offer day as well. However if would be helpful to get personal insights into the schools. Both the school have wonderful facilities and can be commuted to.

If somebody has children in either or has any feedback, it would be much appreciated.
Daogroupie

Re: Habs boys vs St. Paul’s boys

Post by Daogroupie »

Where do you live?

St Pauls is in Barnes in South London and Habs is in Elstree Herts.

Surely you must live closer to one of them.

St Pauls is a great school for those that live close but if you don't you need to move or take Habs. DG
mad?

Post by mad? »

Daogroupie wrote:Where do you live?

St Pauls is in Barnes in South London and Habs is in Elstree Herts.

Surely you must live closer to one of them.

St Pauls is a great school for those that live close but if you don't you need to move or take Habs. DG
Actually St Pauls draws from a huge area as whilst technically in South London, it is Hammersmith in travel terms. I would argue that Habs is much less accessible for most Londoners. But yes, the key is where you live.
Despite the coaches that both put on, think about which is easier for you to get to by public transport, as this is teenage life, and which you liked the most.
mad?
elevenPlusMummy

Hi,

We have a direct connect to Hammersmith from local station and a coach to Habs from the same station. So the travel is good for both.
mad?

Post by mad? »

In which case they are both good schools so it comes down to which one you really preferred. Personally, I would always choose a school accessible by public transport as opposed to a school coach, so in this case SPS. Do also consider though
that whilst in beautiful grounds by the river, SPS is a London school, Habs much less so, being more than half way from the North circular to the M25. This would make one hugely preferable to me, all else being equal. Consider how easy each school would be for you to get to (particularly after work!). In the end no-one here can really advise you what will 'fit' your son, and we rarely for some reason, have SPS parents on here, so you may not get first hand advice. Good luck anyway, a lovely position to be in.
mad?
elevenPlusMummy

Yes. Public transport is preferable as allows children to attend after school activities without missing the coach.

Although I know children from the local area who go to Habs, know nobody from St. Paul’s. During our three visits to the school, it came across as diverse. Dd in a London school as well ( CLSG) so happy with that.

Hmm, struggling to decide.
Helpneeded

Post by Helpneeded »

I think (please check) that there are 2 coach times from Habs - one straight after school and one later to allow after school activities. Which isn’t to say public transport isn’t more flexible...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Helpneeded wrote:I think (please check) that there are 2 coach times from Habs - one straight after school and one later to allow after school activities. Which isn’t to say public transport isn’t more flexible...
Plus public transport in London is free if they have a Zip Oyster card.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Tinkers wrote:
Helpneeded wrote:I think (please check) that there are 2 coach times from Habs - one straight after school and one later to allow after school activities. Which isn’t to say public transport isn’t more flexible...
Plus public transport in London is free if they have a Zip Oyster card.
Only buses unfortunately, Boris got rid of free tubes/overground for 11-16s as soon as he became mayor, shortly after we decided on a school which was a quick tube journey rather than a long bus journey in fact. Sigh. That said there is a maximum charge of about £1.60 a day (I think) so still cheap compared with most school coaches.
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Ah yes forgot. Still cheaper than private buses though.