Intervention - any legal requirement to attend?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BlueBerry22

Intervention - any legal requirement to attend?

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Basically that is my question!!

DS has been invited to a lunchtime intervention session but he attends another academic session that lunchtime for potential high achievers. This is in a subject he would like to achieve well in. The intervention is for a subject he will not continue with.

Would have no objections if they didn't clash.

On what basis can school force attendance?
BucksBornNBred

Re: Intervention - any legal requirement to attend?

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I am not an expert (hopefully one turns up soon) but I should have thought that the school would understand the situation and change the day(s) of the intervention... if I were in your shoes I would certainly be speaking with the school about it. Although your DS will not continue the subject, is it one that is needed to gain 6th form entry?
Last edited by BucksBornNBred on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Agreed - whilst the school might normally apply sanctions if students omitted to attend specific intervention sessions (if you hunt back to your School/Home agreement, it may refer to something in that?), eg a detention, if he explains that he already attends something on that day in school, I cannot see how they could have an issue with that.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Thanks BBB and KCG - we have tried talking to school but appear to be at an impasse hence why i wanted to know about the legal side of things.

KCG -I don't know if we signed a contract when school started - will look and see.

To answer your question BBB - DS does not need the intervention subject for his future plans. He does need the other subject though.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

How far up the ‘pecking order’ have you gone? The two subject teachers, the subject leaders, the HOY or beyond?

I’d keep going up the chain.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

BlueBerry22 wrote:I don't know if we signed a contract when school started - will look and see.
The only thing I vaguely remember maybe possibly signing is the Yr7 homework book - DS had to sign something in it and I thought I did too. But I am sure that was just vague rules.

I assume there is nothing on the website, BB22? Though I can never find anything on there when I need to!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I hate how interventions appear to be run these days. At one of my schools, Year 11s were forced to do a 7-period day on certain days of the week and then would sometimes have a period 8 as well if they were the targeted group on that day. And these were 45-50-min periods. We go on and on about striking a balance and then insist on pupils doing activities that undermine this balance. I agree that interventions need to be in place for those who need them AND who want them. I don’t think we should be forcing pupils to attend them though. It’s too much!
Hera

Post by Hera »

I trusted that my DS knew where he needed any extra help. He chose to go to some that were available for all. He was "invited" to interventions in English which he was adamant that he didn't need. I emailed letting them know he wouldn't be attending them, and he was right. I think by this stage you need to trust the kids to know what's best for them and I am sure that given your DC is attending something that lunchtime anyway it won't be an issue.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Hi Ks10 - yes DS is also invited to interventions after school which interfere with his hobby - he is going to go as it looks like it will be beneficial across other subjects.

I just don't see how they can "force" a student to attend.

Tinkers - for reasons I would rather not address it is difficult for us to go up the chain.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now