Appeal for non grammar school?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Topcat75

Appeal for non grammar school?

Post by Topcat75 »

My query is that my daughter didn't pass her 11+. However, her 1st choice of non grammar school takes in pupils from feeder primaries around it. Her primary isn't one of them but it is close to the last feeder school. To gain a place she had to take an aptitude test. We don't find out the results but as it was non verbal reasoning papers, her strength, she thinks she did well.

My question is, can we appeal if she doesn't get a place there (it's not a grammar). Is the appeal process different and what is the best information to include?
I've looked on the boards here but most of the appeals relate to grammar applications.
Thanks
Tinkers

Re: Appeal for non grammar school?

Post by Tinkers »

Have you read the appeals section on the main website here.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It covers both non qualification (relevant to Grammars) and over subscription (relevant to all schools).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 07DYnju5-D

The main difference with schools which select on ability - places only awarded either to those who have met a pass mark or who wereranked highly enpugh in an 'order of merit' - is that you have to overcome an extra hurdle of proving that your DC is, despite the 'evidence' of their score / rank, of suitable academic ability. For a not (fully) selective school, the main hurdle is convincing the Independent Appeal Panel that your DC's case for having a place at the school puteighs the school's case not to admit an extra pupil.

For a partially selective school, even if doing well enough in the test was the only realistic way of your DD being ranked in a high enough category to get in, if she didn't do well enough for a 'selective' place or for an 'all other applicsnts' place, her appeal would be heard as the last category, not for a selective place specifically. Only fully selective schools van not fill places once they run out of qualified applicants - other schools have to offer down their ranks until they reach PAN.

The school presents its case to the IAP first. If you are very lucky (but this is really only likely where there are very few appeals lodged for that intake), the panel may decide that the school has not made a case at all for not taking the extra one(s) and you won't have to do your 'persuading'.

(Put more succinctly by Tinkers :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Topcat75 wrote:To gain a place she had to take an aptitude test.
Is the school partially selective, ie it takes a percentage of children based on the results in a test?

Or does is use the 'fair banding' method of admissions, whereby all children take an ability test then are placed in ability bands and an equal number of children are admitted from each band?

I ask because you said that you haven't had the results of the ability test, which makes me think that it must be a fair banding test as these are sometimes held after the deadline for the submission of applications. I would have expected that if it was a partially selective school you would be given the result before the deadline for applications.
Topcat75

Post by Topcat75 »

It's partially selective. As she doesn't attend one of its feeder schools. They allocate 29 places to children out of area who successfully pass the test. The results are not revealed to us. She had to sit the test after we had made our school choices.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I thought state schools that selected based on ability (intelligence, music, sports) even if partially selective had to reveal results prior to the closing date for the CAF. I know of tests after this date where it is a second stage test and parents know the results of the stage one test or for fair banding, but I didn't think schools were allowed under the Admissions Code to do access tests that were wholly after the CAF submission date. Yes there are tests for late sitters or those who were ill on the day etc but the primary test date and results are meant to be prior to CAF submission. Topcat I would check the Admissions and see if it marries up with the Admissions code as this may be grounds for appeal if it doesn't. I will add that I am not an Admissions expert, more what I've learnt over the years from this forum.
Topcat75

Post by Topcat75 »

That's interesting! Looking back, my daughter did the test in November but we were told the results wouldn't be revealed. Is this something I can appeal then I wonder?
Can I pm you the addmissions criteria?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I am not an expert as said and I think I can work out the school as Kent only has a few schools of this nature. I have looked at the Admissions for the school which if it is the right one says: The aptitude test for X School will be taken after the “Common Application Form” has been lodged with the Local Authority (LA).”

And 1.32 of the Admissions Code https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 19_Dec.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
States:

1.32 Admission authorities must:
a) ensure that tests for aptitude in a particular subject are designed to
test only for aptitude in the subject concerned, and not for ability;
b) ensure that tests are accessible to children with special educational needs and disabilities, having regard to the reasonable adjustments for disabled pupils required under equalities legislation, and
c) take all reasonable steps to inform parents of the outcome of selection tests before the closing date for secondary applications on 31 October so as to allow parents time to make an informed choice of school - while making clear that this does not equate to a guarantee of a selective place.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Topcat75 wrote:That's interesting! Looking back, my daughter did the test in November but we were told the results wouldn't be revealed. Is this something I can appeal then I wonder?
Can I pm you the addmissions criteria?
You could pass the admissions policy on to the Office of the Schools Adjudicator (is this a school in the place where a large pharmaceutical company used to be a/the major employer, btw?), as not indicating results before 31st October without a very good reason, is definitely against the requirement that

. 1.32 Admission authorities must:
a) ensure that tests for aptitude in a particular subject are designed to test only for aptitude in the subject concerned, and not for ability;
b) ensure that tests are accessible to children with special educational needs and disabilities, having regard to the reasonable adjustments for
disabled pupils required under equalities legislation, and
c) take all reasonable steps to inform parents of the outcome of selection tests before the closing date for secondary applications on 31 October so as to allow parents time to make an informed choice of school - while making clear that this does not equate to a guarantee of a
selective place.

Also see...

Pre-existing, partially selective schools

1.21 Partially selective schools select a proportion of their intake by ability. Where schools can partially select, they must publish the entry requirements
for a selective place
, and the process for such selection.

x-posted with PWF :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Topcat75

Post by Topcat75 »

Yes you have the location of the school correct! Surely the schools policy re the aptitude test would have been corrected by now if it isn't allowed! What should I do next?
Thanks so much for this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now