Habs vs PGHS

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SundayGirl

Habs vs PGHS

Post by SundayGirl »

Our DD has offers from both schools (bursary from one, scholarship from the other). We like both - PGHS seems lovely and is very local but Habs has the facilities, scale and boys school next door is a plus for us.

Would appreciate any thoughts on both schools, can't find much about PGHS. She would be getting coach to Habs (5/10 min drive to coach stop). Bit concerned about the journey - am assuming they just get used to it?

DD is mature, eager to learn, gets stuck in to pretty much everything. Enjoys the arts/debating/sport.

This is our first foray into secondary and private school.

Any insights would be much appreciated.
scary mum

Re: Habs vs PGHS

Post by scary mum »

Which school is PGHS?
scary mum
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I am assuming Palmers Green?
I only know one person who went there. She hated it. I am sure other people love it though. She is the daughter of a friend of mine - all her siblings got into selective schools and she didn't, despite sitting several of them. So I guess they started their PG experience seeing it as second best. But she found that the year group was too small for her to make friends easily. There were some concerns in her year group with inappropriate behaviour. She worked very hard and did ok at GCSE and went on to DAO for sixth form which she loved and where she made good friends. She's now doing her degree of choice.
Having known a number of people find very small girls' indies very difficult for friendships I would be very cautious about them but that's just personal preference - there's 200+ in my children's year groups!
I don't know enough about Habs or Palmers Green High to comment any further - and my comments above are probably 7 years old? (but yes, children get used to travelling very quickly. Most secondary school children will be travelling alone by public transport from the start of year 7).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What is important to you in a school?

Habs is a much more academic school and the cohort will be more diverse in terms of background and location.

There is likely to be a lot more girls from state primaries.

Habs is a bigger stage with a lot more opportunities. The reason you can't find out much about PGHS is because it is much more of a local school and does not have the transport network that would enable girls to come from elsewhere.

The advantage of that is of course that there would be a network of local friends rather than girls from further away.

Has your dd made any comment about any difference between the exams?

Was the Habs exam more challenging?

Habs would be a fundamentally different experience for your dd so you really need to decide what would suit her most.

It is really the small stage versus the big stage. DG
SundayGirl

Post by SundayGirl »

Many thanks for your replies. I really do appreciate it.

DG, I don't think she found one exam more challenging than the other. She is pretty calm and takes things in her stride.

I think the bigger stage and larger mix will probably suit her character best. I am a bit concerned about the coach travel though, but I guess they all must get used to it?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

How long will she be on the coach? It will probably be the highlight of her day once she makes friends on there.
scary mum
SundayGirl

Post by SundayGirl »

Scarymum, no doubt you are probably right.

DG, I think the Habs atmosphere is closer to what we want in terms of scale and scope.

Thank you all again for your comments and points, it's really helped to focus in on what will suit her best.