Junior Mathematical Olympiad

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GM

Junior Mathematical Olympiad

Post by GM »

Does anybody know usually how many children are invited for Junior Mathematical Olympiad each year? Looks like if they got 99+ on Junior Challenge then they would get an invitation.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

No idea, how well did your child do? Is that the test that is for Year 8 children? My son got a silver certificate last year in the UKMT Intermediate Maths Challenge (missed out by 1 mark for gold :( ), but he was in Year 3.
GM

Post by GM »

My dd got a gold certificate. She is in Year7 and she told me only Year 8 pupils allow to attend follow-up round. But Junior Mathematical Olympiad is more advanced, so I am curious how many children achieved 99+.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I suppose it could be worked out mathematically to some extent. The number achieving gold need a pass mark of 71+, and they are between 6-7% of the number of entrants. So from that percentage maybe between 0.25 - 1% got 99+ but I expect it was to the lower end. Regarding Year 8's only doing it, then that must be because it was only year 8's that achieved this at your school because the test is age indiscriminate or they wouldn't have let my son sit it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some errors here:

Primary Maths challenge is for Primary age children - run by the Mathemtical association

http://www.m-a.org.uk/education/primary ... challenge/

The UKMT run:

Junior maths challenge for children up to year 8

Intermediate maths challenge aimed at Y9, 10 and 11

Senior maths challenge - sixth form mainly

http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/News%20from%20UKMT.htm

There are also Team challenges -
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Guest55. I know my son definitely did the UKMT Intermediate because I just looked at his certificate. :)
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I found this on the UKMT
website. So Tipsy's son is clearly an enthusiastic younger pupil:

The Junior and Intermediate Challenges are aimed at the top 35% of pupils in each year group (see table below). The Senior Challenge is suitable for all students aged 16-19 studying maths below university level. Enthusiastic younger pupils are also encouraged to enter the Challenges.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I don't think my son could be described as enthusiastic, unless he is dissecting rats, but he has an aptitude for maths beyond the average. :lol:
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Hah, my three year old has expressed an interest in dissecting her 1 year old sister more than once to find out what is inside her. But unfortunately I don't think she is showing well above average mathematical aptitude.

oops I keep on meaning to look at that olympiad thing. Sounds interesting.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

perplexed wrote:Hah, my three year old has expressed an interest in dissecting her 1 year old sister more than once to find out what is inside her. But unfortunately I don't think she is showing well above average mathematical aptitude.

oops I keep on meaning to look at that olympiad thing. Sounds interesting.
Do you have a wide age range of kids - I'm assuming one close to 11+ age too? I can't imagine starting again!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now