Kent Test dates Sept 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
redbear444

Kent Test dates Sept 2019

Post by redbear444 »

The dates for the 2019 Kent Test have been published by KCC as Thurs 12 and Sat 14 September.

https://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-c ... test#tab-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know why they are a week later than last year?
Sorrel

Re: Kent Test dates Sept 2019

Post by Sorrel »

Very interesting, thanks! I wondered if it was to do with the timing of returns to school but I'm not sure it is. They were an early test and perhaps got people registering just to use them for practice for later ones. I wonder if they're trying to reduce that by pushing the test back.
redbear444

Post by redbear444 »

Sorrel, I hadn't thought of that. That rationale would make sense. The schools seem to be starting back this Sept at the same time as last Sept (i.e. by the day before the Test, latest). While I can see the merit in having a full week back at school before the Test (not so rushed, less tired, etc.), by that stage the kids (and parents) just want the Test over and done with! Or maybe that's just me. This is my second year in a row.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Having it in the second week rather than on day 2 back probably also helps children whose parents haven't been coaching/ preparing them? It gives them a chance to get their school head back on after the long holidays.

Second year in a row is tough - this is my second time but with a gap of a year!
KentbridgeDad

Post by KentbridgeDad »

Good luck every one. Went through it last September and understand the challenges.

Not sure why they have two separate dates one for children from within Kent and other for out of Kent. Once the exam happens one way or the other it is discussed in forums or otherwise handing some advantage to the kids taking exam after two days.

It was ok if the out of catchment children remained as out of catchment till the admission process. But what happens is many people move before the required date for admission and then those children suddenly becomes in catchment (in Kent). Then they are treated on par with the within Kent children and no longer remain out of catchment category.

In that scenario even the minor advantage gained due to discussion through forum or word of mouth on the questions go against children who took test the first day. With the digital and social media world this problem needs to be recognised and addressed.

Cheers,
KD
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

KentbridgeDad wrote:Good luck every one. Went through it last September and understand the challenges.

Not sure why they have two separate dates one for children from within Kent and other for out of Kent. Once the exam happens one way or the other it is discussed in forums or otherwise handing some advantage to the kids taking exam after two days.

It was ok if the out of catchment children remained as out of catchment till the admission process. But what happens is many people move before the required date for admission and then those children suddenly becomes in catchment (in Kent). Then they are treated on par with the within Kent children and no longer remain out of catchment category.

In that scenario even the minor advantage gained due to discussion through forum or word of mouth on the questions go against children who took test the first day. With the digital and social media world this problem needs to be recognised and addressed.

Cheers,
KD
The reasons are that IC children sit it in their own school, in familiar surroundings which is a huge advantage in itself. The forums are careful not to let things get discussed and DD who sat as OOC a few years ago was at a distinct disadvantage due to taking the test in a boys school and not enough girls toilets amongst other things. It was clear they wanted to make it as uncomfortable as possible. DD wouldn't have remembered enough detail for it to have even been useful. Parents of IC children who sat the test do not want to share data as they don't want to prejudice their child's chances. The test is taken even later by IC Kent children as well as OOC children who were ill on the main days, so again another reason for not discussing for many months after the original test. I have never heard of parents willingly sharing data (and why would they when they have something to lose by doing so) with other parents but it seems to be assumed it will be.
redbear444

Post by redbear444 »

The facts behind the numbers sitting OOC and IC aren't always clear. Some children live in Kent and are IC for selection purposes but they go to a primary school just over the Kent border or are homeschooled and therefore have to sit the Test as OOC. I think there are arguments for advantage and disadvantage on both IC and OOC sides.

I agree that having the Test on two different days is unsatisfactory now. It probably worked well when most IC children attended Kent primary schools and there weren't many OOC sitters. I'm not sure what the solution is. Allow all schools to host the Test (even if tens/hundreds of miles away)? Make all of the Kent primary schools host other children as well as their own children? All children sit on a Saturday at independent venues?
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Can't see IC tests ever happening on the weekend due to costs and hassle for KCC. Makes sense to do it within the normal school day. And OOC parents already moan how inconvenient it is getting to test centres, without asking them to take kids out of school for the day. Apart from those kids living near the county border, I would like to see OOC testing reduced and discouraged as much as possible (puts on helmet awaiting incoming).
Herewego1

Post by Herewego1 »

The frustrating thing about this is that Skinners have their open morning for Yr6 the day before the results are released. Extra tough.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Herewego1 wrote:The frustrating thing about this is that Skinners have their open morning for Yr6 the day before the results are released. Extra tough.
Have they confirmed the results day or is that just assuming it's also pushed back a week? I can't see it on the council website and wondered if they would compress the process - Bexley historically has later tests but releases results earlier. Surely Skinners would check before planning open mornings?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now