To try or not to try… since the consultation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JustOutside

To try or not to try… since the consultation

Post by JustOutside »

Does anyone else living just outside the proposed KE catchment areas want to compare notes?

DD is in Y3 so will start secondary in Sep 2022. We live just outside Birmingham and our closest grammars are SCGSG and QMHS. Prior to the consultation we felt that DD would have a good chance of getting a place at one of these grammars or the next closest, which is KEHG, with a bit of (mostly home) tutoring in Y4-5.

Assuming catchment areas are introduced in 2020, the required score for SCGSG and QMHS is likely to increase quite considerably.

DD is keen to try for grammar, and we were happy to support her, but now it feels like we’d have to put her through A LOT of tutoring to give her a chance.

There’s also the possibility that SCGSG and QMHS might introduce catchment areas in the next couple of years which might disqualify us for both.

We are happy where we live and don’t want to move into Birmingham just to ‘play the game’, and would not be able to afford private education, though we are not PP and could afford tutors.

WWYD?
Ricky74

Re: To try or not to try… since the consultation

Post by Ricky74 »

As somebody who has moved for schools, I would advise staying put as I think there are many unknowns at this stage. This also depends on your nearest comp for though and how you feel about it.

Children, exams and 11 plus results are also unpredictable.
It's a long journey, but if your daughter wants to try and you feel she could 'pass' then I would not let what may or may not happen change this plan yet.

Your daughter is y3 so you have lots of time re 11 plus, to see what happens with scores, admissions arrangements and to see how your daughter develops and if she still wants to take the exam - you have until year 5 I'd say, although she could begin with reading a wide range of books, which I'd encourage regardless of the 11 plus plans.

If you wanted to move to be in catchment for a comp then you'd need to be moved in for the cut off for the secondary CAF (the October before school starts).

We moved house to be near one son's GS and to secure our other son a comp place. But then he moved to another school that is nearer our old house! Life can throw curved balls but I wouldn't make any big decisions just yet.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I've just re-read your post and your comments on your concerns re your daughter's ability to achieve say 240 rather than 215 if scores rise and am amending my response.

If you feel nearer the time that your daughter would need a lot of tutoring and scores do rise, then you will need to consider whether putting yourselves through all that will be worth it. I know that's what you are asking now, but I'd wait until she is older and see how the landscape lies.

So just sit tight and hopefully all will become clearer with time. If you also have a great secondary then you are in a good position.
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

Thanks, Ricky – that’s helpful. I expect I’m a little too concerned, a little too early.

I currently have only anecdotal evidence about the local secondaries. The ‘guaranteed’ one is a bit of a concern, but the other local one is good. I need to find out more though.

I really don’t know whether I’m underplaying my daughter. She’s always exceeded ARE on all academic subjects at her (not very pushy) school and is an advanced and voracious reader and fluent on all times tables up to 12. She has a great love of learning new vocabulary and using the most appropriate words, is a natural with spelling/grammar etc. I encourage her to do a bit of IXL online maths/English to ensure I know she’s confident in all aspects of the curriculum. My gut feeling is that she’d be a good fit for grammar, but I have no experience of grammar schools and therefore have no idea how easily she’d score 240 rather than 215 with minimal coaching.

I am happy to keep doing what I’m doing for another year, and review. Meanwhile, I’ll try to find out a bit more about the local secondaries…
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

You can DM me if you like as I too live inbetween QM and SCGS and can discuss local secondaries.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now