Age Standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Wontsleeptonight

Re: Age Standardisation

Post by Wontsleeptonight »

My motive is not to dissuade anyone from giving it a go and trying their luck. Just to understand the difference this year, and to manage their children's expectations wisely.
Best of luck people.
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

Wontsleeptonight wrote:CSSE have responded to me, their mathematician is looking into this so hopefully we will have some clearer guidance issued.
Any further response from CSSE (or their mathematician) on this?
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

DSDSDD wrote:
Wontsleeptonight wrote:CSSE have responded to me, their mathematician is looking into this so hopefully we will have some clearer guidance issued.
Any further response from CSSE (or their mathematician) on this?
@Wontsleeptonight - any response?

This has also got me thinking (makes a change :) ) and apologies for any misunderstanding on my part. As CSSE have applied age standardisation in a linear fashion from birthdays of 1Sep2007 to 31Aug2008, what would happen in the event that e.g. May2008 born children generally performed worse than those born either side, i.e. Apr2008 and Jun2008. Question would still stand/be valid if CSSE used weekly or even daily cohorts?
FairPlay

Post by FairPlay »

Ok I’m panicking now...

My daughter scored 340.155. We are OOC and have applied for WHSG.

I have calculated her score without age standardisation and it’s coming out at 331.425.

Does this mean that her chances of an OOC place at WHSG in September are probably non existent now as she would have moved from the green category to the orange category?

I’ve read all the previous comments on this subject and I must admit I am finding it difficult to get my head around.
ayparents

Post by ayparents »

[quote="Wontsleeptonight"]

I am still waiting on the CSSE response which is disappointing given that they close for half term a d it's getting close to the submission deadline.

[/quote]

Hi,
Wondering whether you had a response from CSSE?
Wontsleeptonight

Post by Wontsleeptonight »

ayparents wrote:
Wontsleeptonight wrote:
I am still waiting on the CSSE response which is disappointing given that they close for half term a d it's getting close to the submission deadline.
No response whatsoever, which is disappointing...although the ship has sailed somewhat since it would have been helpful to inform decision making in October.
I suppose we will have to wait and see what impact it has had tomorrow, and see if the CSSE issue a response then.

Hi,
Wondering whether you had a response from CSSE?
Greatt84

Post by Greatt84 »

Which I hadn't read this as making me more anxious.

My daughter got 331. I seriously hope this will gain her a place at colchester.
metnat

Post by metnat »

@wontsleeptonight - Thanks for your response. Yes, it would have been nice to know the details even after October.

I have got a very cagey response from CSSE and practically ignored my request for useful information. In my case, I was keen to look at the statistical data and distribution.
metnat

Post by metnat »

Greatt84 wrote:Which I hadn't read this as making me more anxious.

My daughter got 331. I seriously hope this will gain her a place at colchester.
Sorry for increasing your anxiety with recent posts on this thread.

I wish and pray that your DD gets in ColCHS. Good luck for tomorrow.
Greatt84

Post by Greatt84 »

Thank you. She's adopted and the most amazing little girl who deserves this so much!

There's always the waiting list as well