Withdrawing your place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bluejay

Withdrawing your place

Post by bluejay »

Out of curiosity with all the new catchment area proposals of 2020 entry, do you think parents may change their mind and withdraw their grammar school place offer?

For example: Say you lived near to BV but had opted for Camp hill as your 1st choice and instead now wanted your 2nd place of BV as you live closer and you're thinking of younger siblings being more likely to get in - what happens then? Do you automatically go on the WL for BV? Would you go straight to the top with a camp hill score?

Also what if you now decided to give up a grammar place altogether and settle for an outstanding local comp because of the new proposals as you have younger kids to consider.

Would you automatically go onto the WL for the local comp?

Puzzled by these waiting lists as I recall a boy I know was on the actual cut off for KEFW ( a few years ago) and he didn't get it on distance (some did on that score but he didn't and was around 5th on waiting list)

I thought, within a week or so he was offered a place - or maybe it was just after the date that everyone had to commit by.

There was definitely movement very quickly.

Fingers crossed that these waiting lists move quickly.
scary mum

Re: Withdrawing your place

Post by scary mum »

Would you automatically go onto the WL for the local comp?
Not if it was a lower preference as the local authority's computer would assume that giving you a the highest choice it could would be what you would want. I'm not from your area, but presumably you could ask to be put on the waiting list?
scary mum
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

I will still be sending my DS to his grammar place even though we now are out of catchment. It means that his 4 younger siblings may not get the same opportunity but I wouldn't withdraw for him just because of that.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

You can get added to other waiting school lists in the Birmingham region, even if they weren't on your CAF.
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Ricky74 wrote:You can get added to other waiting school lists in the Birmingham region, even if they weren't on your CAF.

In that case..there will definitely be movement.

All I can think is: Expect the unexpected!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

bluejay wrote:
Ricky74 wrote:You can get added to other waiting school lists in the Birmingham region, even if they weren't on your CAF.

In that case..there will definitely be movement.

All I can think is: Expect the unexpected!
We went through the LA a couple of years ago and it took a few 'phone calls though and I guess they (or maybe the foundation now?) would need to check with individual schools as guessing the bumper year might impact on that.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now