Unsuccessful Review can we appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Genie05

Unsuccessful Review can we appeal

Post by Genie05 »

Hi,

Unfortunately our dd was unsuccessful at SR and I have a couple of questions I would like to ask and was wondering if I may at all be able to be able to pm someone re an error on the schools part, as we are now considering our chances of going down the appeals route.

Many thanks.
doodles

Re: Unsuccessful Review can we appeal

Post by doodles »

Welcome to the forum Genie05, as you mention selection review I am assuming you are from Bucks. I am sure someone with Bucks experience will soon be along soon to help you, in the meantime here is the link to Etienne's very useful guide on Bucks appeals

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=57343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also some essential reading in the general appeals section. Goodluck
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have a couple of questions I would like to ask and was wondering if I may at all be able to be able to pm someone re an error on the schools part
Would this help?
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 23#p108023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Genie05

Post by Genie05 »

Thank you Doodles and Etienne for your response.

Etienne that is very helpful thank you. I shall drop a message there.
Genie05

Post by Genie05 »

Message sent to the box. Thank you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

As far as I can see the SRP has done nothing wrong, but I'm assuming this is a Bucks primary school, in which case the headteacher was part of the process.
If the school did something incorrectly on the review form, and this seriously disadvantaged you, it is arguable that the review process could not have been 'fair, consistent & objective' (FCO).

With regard to academic evidence for an appeal, you will need to take this up again with the school because an appeal panel will react in just the same way as the review panel did.
It needs handling diplomatically, but you do now have the evidence of the SRP's comment to show the head, and one would hope the school would go out of its way to make amends!
Ideally they should write something about "recent rapid progress", and/or recent practice SATs papers showing that your daughter is clearly on target for 111-120.

If the school still won't co-operate, put your concerns to them in writing, and keep a copy as evidence for an appeal.

With regard to FCO, in addition to your main issue, you should also try using one or two of the arguments suggested in section D of the Bucks sticky:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=57343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Genie05

Post by Genie05 »

Thanks Etienne. That is really helpful as is the sticky on the appeals section so thank you. There are a couple more points which I should have included initially apologies. Is it ok if i drop them to you in the email box?

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Is it ok if i drop them to you in the email box?
No problem.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Can we question whether all the paper work was even received if pages had been removed?
It might be worth a question at the hearing.
If it had been school work, it would have been legitimate to remove it, since school work is not permitted for review purposes.
Perhaps in this instance it was just to save paper (as the page was almost blank), but I can't understand why anyone would risk interfering with the case papers.
It wouldn't happen with the paperwork for an appeal - whatever the parent submits is presented to the panel.

However, if the issue itself was nevertheless covered in the SRP decision, it might not be such a strong point to make.
I think what really matters is whether the clerk's notes show that all the important issues were considered.
number of selection reviews
I wouldn't comment at present, but perhaps we could reconsider when you get all the appeal paperwork a week or two before the hearing. It will include a detailed analysis.
Etienne
Genie05

Post by Genie05 »

Once again Etienne thank you for all your help. I may be back with a few questions if that's OK once we have all the paperwork.