Selection Review for Bucks Not Received?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
confusedofbucks

Selection Review for Bucks Not Received?

Post by confusedofbucks »

Hi, I'm not sure my Selection Review was received and reviewed. I wasn't aware of the date we would be notified of a successful outcome of the Review.
Then yesterday on allocation day (1 March), we found out my daughter has been allocated a school which wasn't even on our preferred list :-(
I'll go back a bit...
We were based in a Herts school, but on Bucks border and knew we were about to move house into Bucks so applied for 11+ and hoped to go to Chesham Grammar. My daughter got a very uncharacteristic 98 points in her 11+. Us, her teacher and Head were astounded by the result, having expecting her to pass with flying colours, but there were extenuating circumstances that may have caused this... but that's a different subject (possibly for Appeal).
So we completed the Selection Review, posted in time (Signed For Royal Mail), Head also did their version of form and that was posted separately. I have no idea if it was all received as didn't hear anything. Naively didn't note date that we should hear about the Selection Review results. And having just looked back through the emails about Selection Review process, this date isn't obvious.
Put Chesham Grammar as no.1 preferred school in case Selection Review was successful.
And then yesterday, worst case scenario happened and we get allocated a school that wasn't even on our list. My daughter is devastated, as are we.
I don't know where to go from here. Obviously Monday morning I will be ringing Bucks Schools Admissions Dept, but imagine they will be unbelievably busy as it's first day after Allocations.
Any advice very gratefully received. Even as to the Selection Review notification process.
Thank you
scary mum

Re: Selection Review for Bucks Not Received?

Post by scary mum »

I'll move this to the Bucks section for you. If you decide to go to appeal you can start a thread in the Appeals section or we can move this over there.
scary mum
confusedofbucks

scary mum wrote:I'll move this to the Bucks section for you. If you decide to go to appeal you can start a thread in the Appeals section or we can move this over there.

Thanks. Just hoping for advice pre appeal. But yes, I suspect we’ll go to appeal
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't think you can contact admissions by phone, you will need to contact them through the BCC website. BCC admissions contact form
scary mum
lea2124

Post by lea2124 »

Just wanted to say we received a confirmation letter saying our SR had been received. You didn't get that I'm assume? Good luck.
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

We also received an email from bucks CC to confirm receipt, then another one after Christmas to remind us when the outcome letter would be posted. This post is like one of my nightmares (hence I hand delivered the review stuff and asked for a receipt).....
But if you have the postage receipt, maybe they will make an exception in your case? Did the school post their section, surely the school could back you up? Best of luck!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

As Scary says, you will need to use the contact form.
As you have the 'signed for' evidence , it will be interesting to hear what response you get.

To be realistic, though, the chances of a successful review with a score of 98 would have been very slim indeed.
Last year there were 35 review cases with scores between 0 and 99, and the success rate was 0%.

You may in fact be better off going to appeal without a review, because you're not handicapped by the FCO rule which says (in effect) that an appeal panel can only consider your case if the review was not 'fair, consistent & objective'.

Even so, to get through an appeal you will still need exceptional extenuating circumstances and very strong academic evidence. You must also have some persuasive reasons for wanting a place at the school being appealed for.
Be sure to read the Bucks sticky:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=57343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
confusedofbucks

lea2124 wrote:Just wanted to say we received a confirmation letter saying our SR had been received. You didn't get that I'm assume? Good luck.
No I didn't receive a confirmation letter :-(
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

It sounds as if your SR has not been processed, sorry. As orhers have said though the chance of success at selection review drops off the lower the score. Less than 5 points off there is a decent chance of success , the lower than that it gets, the more remote the chance, and it is very very unusual to get success at SR with under 100.

It might be an idea (as the SR won’t be re-run at this point anywy) to visit the Appeals section, have a read, then start a thread: you could mention that the SR was not fair and objective in that it didn’t actually happen!

Any appeal you make will need to be both against non-qualification AND oversubscription, there are no guarantees but the guys over there are very helpful.
Good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now