Why does CCHSG not have a catchment area?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FTP12

Why does CCHSG not have a catchment area?

Post by FTP12 »

Does anybody know why this is the case. How many Colchester based DD received a place or achieved above 330 and expected to receive a place?
DsMum2019

Re: Why does CCHSG not have a catchment area?

Post by DsMum2019 »

Because they want to scoop up the cream-of-the-cream regardless of distance, landmass, county, country or continent. You score - you're in.
FTP12

Post by FTP12 »

DsMum2019 wrote:Because they want to scoop up the cream-of-the-cream regardless of distance, landmass, county, country or continent. You score - you're in.
Are you local and did you get a place?
DsMum2019

Post by DsMum2019 »

PalmerG wrote:
DsMum2019 wrote:Because they want to scoop up the cream-of-the-cream regardless of distance, landmass, county, country or continent. You score - you're in.
Yes, Chelmsford I/c DS Kegs - just about go in at 356
FTP12

Post by FTP12 »

DsMum2019 wrote:
PalmerG wrote:
Yes, Chelmsford I/c DS Kegs - just about go in at 356
Congrats!
Korthi

Post by Korthi »

With everyone saying how unfair age standardisation is, I believe this is far more unfair.

It would be understandable if all Essex schools didn’t have a catchment but as the Colchester schools are the only ones that don’t it’s even harder for local children to get a place.

Each year there’s local children who miss out by a couple of marks but gain much higher scores than other Essex grammar schools are asking for.

I am very pleased and feel incredibly lucky that my daughter has been offered a place at CCSHG this year but I know of several girls and boys who would certainly have gained a place in Colchester this year if there was a catchment.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I don’t believe most people think age standardisation is unfair. It is standard practice in 11+ tests . It is that Essex has only recently introduced age standardisation. So it is unfamiliar.
FTP12

Post by FTP12 »

Korthi wrote:With everyone saying how unfair age standardisation is, I believe this is far more unfair.

It would be understandable if all Essex schools didn’t have a catchment but as the Colchester schools are the only ones that don’t it’s even harder for local children to get a place.

Each year there’s local children who miss out by a couple of marks but gain much higher scores than other Essex grammar schools are asking for.

I am very pleased and feel incredibly lucky that my daughter has been offered a place at CCSHG this year but I know of several girls and boys who would certainly have gained a place in Colchester this year if there was a catchment.
Yes we missed out by around 3.5 (335.50). Hopefully won’t be too far down the waiting list.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I understand that here in Southend, our grammar schools acquired a catchment area some 20 years ago following the intervention of the then MP for Southend East, the late Sir Teddy Taylor.

You could try to engage the interest of your own MP?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
DsMum2019

Post by DsMum2019 »

Korthi wrote:With everyone saying how unfair age standardisation is, I believe this is far more unfair.

Totally agree. They (the county) should be looking after their own first (like Kegs/Southend schools) then allocate to O/C including Colchester. Morally wrong.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now