Wirral schools over subscribed this time ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SAK1983

Wirral schools over subscribed this time ?

Post by SAK1983 »

Hello ,a chester mum here . Luckily my son got his first choice but Know three other Chester parents who’s children were not offerered a grammar school due to over subscription . This is very uncommon for Wirral .
SofiaCerano

Re: Wirral schools over subscribed this time ?

Post by SofiaCerano »

Ooh boys or girls? Everyone in my dd’s school is being very tight lipped about their offers.
Heidimaghellian

Post by Heidimaghellian »

My daughter (we live in Neston) got into her first choice, Wirral Girls, but her friend who lives nearer to the school than Chester did not and was told they are very over subscribed with over 30 unlucky girls. We had been led to believe that there were fewer girls this year and that if they passed and wanted WG then they'd likely get in. Maybe West Kirby was under-subscribed and more put WG this year. You're right - last year they had surplus places. No idea what's gone on.
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

I’ve also heard of girls not getting Upton too :( not in my daughter school. But I know almost 600 girls sat the exam.
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

One of the Mums at school this morning also said she’s heard of girls not getting Upton and being offered Wirral instead. It’s all just hearsay but it would explain girls from further afield not being offered grammar places.
KLJ77

Post by KLJ77 »

This is the case for what I know too, quite a few girls we know didn’t get Wirral and there are a lot of disappointed girls, and I heard boys couldn’t get Calday, but these all live Great Sutton/Whitby area. One friend for second choice West Kirby so perhaps they have more places? I guess there could be a few changes as parents accept/decline choices.
SAK1983

Post by SAK1983 »

I now have heard from parents of 4 boys (all Chester) who put Calday as first choice but they were not even offered the second choice . So no grammar school place.
Similarly a girl who put West Kirby as first choice didn't get any grammar school place.

It seems no places were offered to Chester kids in the 4 grammar schools UNLESS they have a sibling already studying there :(
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

What a shame for those kids to go through all the stress of those exams, with no grammar place at the end of it. I’m feeling very lucky with our offer after reading these posts.
Heidimaghellian

Post by Heidimaghellian »

It really does make for surprising reading hearing about all of these disappointed kids. What a difference to last year that had WG advertising spaces! As you rightly say, to have worked so hard to no avail must be heartbreaking so I now feel really lucky that she got a place. I had pondered for ages over which to put first - Upton or Wirral - and I'd love to know if, had we put Upton first instead of WG, would we now be one of the disappointed families. Guess I'll never know! The fact that her friend got Upton has put a bit of a downer on proceedings and my daughter has asked if she can go to Upton instead!!!! Yeah honey let's just tell them to swap you haha . Upton have sent a form to return if you want to be put on a waiting list but when I spoke to them this morning they told me that there were lots of girls who put Upton as their first choice and were unlucky so it sounds highly unlikely.
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

I put a freedom of information request in to Wirral council, requesting admissions numbers. Hope it is useful for any appeals and those planning for future years.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ocations_3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now