AGS Cut Off Score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tonysingh123

AGS Cut Off Score

Post by Tonysingh123 »

Does anybody have any ideas what the cut off score is this year for AGS - non pp & Pp?
wolvsparent

Re: AGS Cut Off Score

Post by wolvsparent »

Adams don’t have PP places but have an “in catchment” and “out of catchment” area.

Someone has posted a few times that 330 OOA did not get offered. The presumption is that within catchment, or boarding, get offered a place if the qualifying score is reached (300).

The headmaster stated that 50 in catchment places would be offered this year, many more than ever, which would push up the OOA score considerably.

My son scored 305, so we did not expect an offer, but we received a letter stating he could be considered for a boarding place if we wanted one.
Inspector General

Post by Inspector General »

I don't think any scores have been published on the official 'admissions' thread for on this forum for AGS (or 'HA'!). Equally, I don't know of a single OOA boy who has got in, including from my daughter's primary school in Telford where 4 girls got in to NGHS and which in the past has always sent 2 or 3 boys to AGS. I think the steep increase in recruitment in the catchment area (which the HM is so pleased about) is really beginning to have quite an impact on AGS admissions from other areas. I feel very fortunate that my older son got in in the first year of the catchment area, and before it started to fully take effect, but worry for my younger son whose chances cannot be great (particularly now the plan to increase the catchment area to encompass all of Telford (albeit clearly bad news for our friends in Wolverhampton) has fallen through).
kathb

Post by kathb »

wolvsparent wrote:Adams don’t have PP places but have an “in catchment” and “out of catchment” area.

Someone has posted a few times that 330 OOA did not get offered. The presumption is that within catchment, or boarding, get offered a place if the qualifying score is reached (300).

The headmaster stated that 50 in catchment places would be offered this year, many more than ever, which would push up the OOA score considerably.

My son scored 305, so we did not expect an offer, but we received a letter stating he could be considered for a boarding place if we wanted one.
Hi

I have a son at Adams and one now on the waiting list with a boarding offer like everyone who passes OOA!
You are right that 50 boys within area are eligible for a place if they apply, they wouldn't be offered otherwise.

These are approximate figures:- Say there are 120 places they allocate 106 to day boys and 12 or 14 boarders these boys will have already requested a boarding place prior to the test and will have done the 11+ to see if they are at a Grammar school level.

As they don't fill the boarding spaces with pre-applicants they then offer boarding places to boys on the waiting list as they want to fill them, they don't seem to reallocate empty spaces to day boys.

Hope that makes sense.
Happytimes

Post by Happytimes »

My son was offered a place after scoring 346 OOA, we live in Telford, I have also struggled to find many other offers locally.....they seem very hard to come by.
jay001

Post by jay001 »

kathb wrote:
wolvsparent wrote:Adams don’t have PP places but have an “in catchment” and “out of catchment” area.

Hi

I have a son at Adams and one now on the waiting list with a boarding offer like everyone who passes OOA!
You are right that 50 boys within area are eligible for a place if they apply, they wouldn't be offered otherwise.

These are approximate figures:- Say there are 120 places they allocate 106 to day boys and 12 or 14 boarders these boys will have already requested a boarding place prior to the test and will have done the 11+ to see if they are at a Grammar school level.

As they don't fill the boarding spaces with pre-applicants they then offer boarding places to boys on the waiting list as they want to fill them, they don't seem to reallocate empty spaces to day boys.

Hope that makes sense.
Hiya,
My son scored 330 we are from wolverhamptom, and received notification he is on a waiting list, are you saying its very unlikely he will a tusly be offered as we are in Wolverhampton ?
wolvsparent

Post by wolvsparent »

Unfortunately jay001 we really have no idea.

If you look through previous years threads, there is never more than a couple of people posting scores for AGS. From this year we now have OFFERED at 346, NOT OFFERED at 330. Hopefully the start of the offers thread will be changed.

Previously though, 330 had received an offer (the year my oldest gained a place a poster turned down 330 for a Thomas Telford place). With ever more local boys getting through on what we assume is scores over 300 and proposals to increase the catchment to Telford in the future, the likelihood is that the cutoff for OOA boys will increase dramatically. Wolverhampton boys will start to be in the minority, which does make me worry slightly about the bus, especially going through to sixth form (currently Yr9).

You could phone and ask the school what the cutoff is, although AGS is very secretive of scores and has only begrudgingly allowed the score to be sent to parents this year due to GDPR.

We were always unsure as to where DS2 would fit in (very different in character to older brother) and so the inevitable rejection of a place was less gutting. We are fortunate to live approx 1 mile from one of the best comps in Wolves and which possibly has more applicants than AGS so was still worried! He seems very happy about this school place. Ultimately this is what counts.

Wish you all the luck jay001 with your journey. Which comps did you put on your CAF?
jay001

Post by jay001 »

wolvsparent wrote:Unfortunately jay001 we really have no idea.

If you look through previous years threads, there is never more than a couple of people posting scores for AGS. From this year we now have OFFERED at 346, NOT OFFERED at 330. Hopefully the start of the offers thread will be changed.

Previously though, 330 had received an offer (the year my oldest gained a place a poster turned down 330 for a Thomas Telford place). With ever more local boys getting through on what we assume is scores over 300 and proposals to increase the catchment to Telford in the future, the likelihood is that the cutoff for OOA boys will increase dramatically. Wolverhampton boys will start to be in the minority, which does make me worry slightly about the bus, especially going through to sixth form (currently Yr9).

You could phone and ask the school what the cutoff is, although AGS is very secretive of scores and has only begrudgingly allowed the score to be sent to parents this year due to GDPR.

We were always unsure as to where DS2 would fit in (very different in character to older brother) and so the inevitable rejection of a place was less gutting. We are fortunate to live approx 1 mile from one of the best comps in Wolves and which possibly has more applicants than AGS so was still worried! He seems very happy about this school place. Ultimately this is what counts.

Wish you all the luck jay001 with your journey. Which comps did you put on your CAF?
Hi

We have been placed on a waiting list for highfields which was fourth on our list. But we have been given a place to comp which was not even our list, which is not an option for us so will have to go via the appeal process.
Tonysingh123

Post by Tonysingh123 »

Jay001

Did they offer you a boarding school place, or were simply put on waiting list?
jay001

Post by jay001 »

Tonysingh123 wrote:Jay001

Did they offer you a boarding school place, or were simply put on waiting list?
Was offered a boarding place and a place on the waiting list
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now