Wilson's offers for 2019 entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anxietykills

Wilson's offers for 2019 entry

Post by anxietykills »

Hi,

I've started this new thread to discuss the concerns of those who've received offer from Wilson's School for 2019 entry.

For starters, I would like to know which Primary schools in that area are relatively easy to get into, i.e. not over-subscribed. This is for the younger one. We are moving into Sutton from another LA, so this information would come in handy while taking the decision. Does Sutton council share this information if I call them up? I suppose they won't until we move. Of course the best way to find this out is by calling them up but any pointers will help.

Also, does the Wilson's school have a transport service? I can't find this information on their website, so may be there is none.

Thanks
streathammum

Re: Wilson's offers for 2019 entry

Post by streathammum »

I'm not aware of any schools in London that provide school transport, most are accessible by public transport. For Wilsons, I believe that most pupils get buses or walk from the stations.

You should be able to ask the council's admissions team about which primaries have spaces but I wouldn't try to do that today, they will probably be quite busy!

Don't forget to consider where your other children will go to secondary school when thinking about your move. They may not get into the grammars so make sure you're happy with non-selective options for them and check what sort of catchment distances they have before you commit to a new home.
Irisa

Post by Irisa »

There is no school bus to Wilson's, but there are several bus routes, in particular 157. Some pupils come to Waddon or Wallington station and then walk.

As for primary schools, good ones are oversubscribed, the usual situation. I could suggest checking out Holy Trinity School.
CSB

Post by CSB »

The starting schools guidance booklet from the LA gives you a map of the primaries, how last year's places were allocated including maximum distance, and the number of places available for 2019 start. Spaces do come up at primaries if you've missed the application for Sept 2019 start. Maybe Sutton council can advise on where there are currently spaces for the year(s) that you need. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SDZI4k ... WVmM9/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some good non-grammar secondaries if needed further down the line. It may be a good idea to check out locations that would ensure you're in-catchment for the excellent brand new Harris Academy in Belmont, or Overton Grange, Cheam High, Glenthorne, Carshalton Boys, or Woodcote High just across the boundary in Croydon Borough. There's a list of secondary schools here: https://www.sutton.gov.uk/info/200439/s ... l_year_7/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is how secondary schools were allocated on distance on 1 March 2019: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11RP224 ... NGlPH/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anxietykills

Post by anxietykills »

Thanks all for the really useful replies. The council website indeed gives waiting list idea as well for the primaries.

I'd also like to know if cycling to school is safe in that area. Is it common for Wilson's students to cycle to school? Have there been untoward incidents recently?

Appreciate any inputs from the locals and other parents.
skaa

Post by skaa »

Hi,
We are on the same boat as you are. Moving from different LA. We are also looking for a school for our younger one. We are considering private school options. Let me know how you are getting with your search.
vnaras

Post by vnaras »

Hi, this is about another concern from the parents who will start sending their children to Wilson's from Sept-2019. We're looking for transport options from Surbiton and Epsom for the children to go to Wilson's including car pools. Any idea if there is a whatsapp group for the parents to discuss any such concerns? Thanks.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Are you part way between the two? Epsom to Wilson's looks straightforward by public transport? Surbiton rather less so.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

My son cycles but I wouldn’t have let him do it in year 7.
He did the cycling proficiency first.
I have to say the most dangerous part is just outside the school due to parents parking to drop off on double yellow lines and zigzags and then doing u turns after dropping their precious offspring at the door whilst endangering the lives of other children.
Do be aware that there is almost zero tolerance of lateness at Wilson’s.
A consequence is that every single school event starts on time which is great.
No hanging around waiting for parents who are late.
Car sharing would only work if your child wasn’t wanting to get involved in after school stuff.
It’s easy by train from Epsom to Waddon.20 min on a direct train.
Then they hop on the 154 a couple of stops to school.
If you go to Waddon station in the mornings there are 100s of Wilson’s boys arriving there.
It would be a real pain to drive from Epsom and take much longer.
Surbiton looks like an hour on the train with changes.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Our standard ‘Things to think about’ for car shares.

Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about this parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)
• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)
• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?
• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?
• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?
• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?
• What if the other child moves to a different school?
• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?
• What if the driver smokes when driving?
• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?