Kent Appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Shadow18

Questioning exam running order

Post by Shadow18 »

Hi,
Unfortunately my DS missed passing the 11+ (score of Maths 14/116, Reasoning 59/128, English 10/94).
He felt confident after the exam and predicted his scores (obv not English!!). School were surprised and did a HTA, which given how far away in the score was unsuccessful.

We have discussed the test with school and others we know who sat the test and it turns out that my DS school sat the two parts of the English exam in different order to these other schools... Could this mean that his answers were marked the wrong way around...is this possible (he said he used the answer paper in order for each exam and didn't have to turn it over until the front side completed...From what I understand (not directly asked school), but think only one student passed the English paper (score of 106).

Not sure if I'm clutching at straws, but at minimum would have thought test should be administered in the same way for all schools?

Not sure if I should/ can question KCC on this now (remark??), or if should firm part of appeal.

Thank you!!
Amber

Re: Questioning exam running order

Post by Amber »

Did the scores from the other children at his school also show this pattern?
Shadow18

Post by Shadow18 »

Thanks for your reply... That I don't know, but will find out as on half term, so haven't heard from school...but will find out as adds to the potential of error.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
Not sure if I should/ can question KCC on this now
I would suggest taking it up with KCC now (in writing).

If not satisfied with the response, you can then submit all the correspondence about this matter for the appeal.
Etienne
Shadow18

Post by Shadow18 »

Thank you... I will do as you suggest and will ask school for any further details that would support marking error.
Shadow18

Kent Appeals

Post by Shadow18 »

Hi,

Do I need to have a Headteacher support letter, or can I just have a Class Teacher letter (who is Asst Head).

Headteacher is new and I asked them for a letter to support appeal. The school is happy to support and did a HT Appeal at the time of the test. The Head has subsequently asked the Class Teacher to provide...do I need to ask for letter from Head as well?

Thanks!
Crackerjax

Re: Kent Appeals

Post by Crackerjax »

Hello,

I had this 2 years ago, even though head supported my appeal .. she passed everything to the class teacher and I would get just 1 letter.

After some advise from here, it was suggested that I ask them both to sign the letter which they were happy to do.

Good luck
Etienne

Re: Kent Appeals

Post by Etienne »

do I need to ask for letter from Head as well?
No, but it would be a good idea if the letter is signed "Assistant Head & Y6 class teacher".

You could also mention, either in your written submission, or at the hearing, that the head is new and asked the class teacher/assistant head to provide a letter of support.

What is sometimes more of a problem is that whoever writes a letter of support doesn't always know what is required for appeal purposes.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Please keep to a single thread on Appeals - it helps us to have all your questions in one place.)
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now