Slough Grammer Sch - Transport from Alperton/Ealing/Sudbury

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ninder16

Slough Grammer Sch - Transport from Alperton/Ealing/Sudbury

Post by ninder16 »

Hi all,

I am wanting to know of any transport options from Sudbury/Alperton areas in Wembley to Slough. I know there is one bus going but wanted to know if there are any local car pool going from this area.

Any advice / contacts to pursue would be appreciated.

Thanks
scary mum

Re: Slough Grammer Sch - Transport from Alperton/Ealing/Sudb

Post by scary mum »

I would imagine your best bet would be by train from Ealing - it may not be that far but the traffic is terrible. At 8.15 this morning I had to go from just north of Slough to just south of the A4 & it took me 30 minutes (about 5 miles, if that).
scary mum
mad?

Post by mad? »

Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about the other parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)

• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)

• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?

• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?

• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?

• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?

• What if the other child moves to a different school?

• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?

• What if the driver smokes when driving?

• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?

(With acknowledgements and thanks to one of our members who suggested that this guidance might prove helpful.)
mad?
ninder16

Post by ninder16 »

Thanks for the reply on car sharing.

Transport options by train / bus take over 1.5 hours unbelievably.

I know of one bus company who travels from Greenford Road in Sudbury but not sure if there are any others.

If anyone knows any bus services that travel from Wembley to Slough it would be greatly appreciated.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think you are looking at allowing an hour by road, although at least for the A40 part you are going against the main traffic. Do you not have any decent local schools? It's a horrible journey for 7 years, but it sounds as though others do it.
scary mum
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

There are a number of 'New Bharat' coaches that serve Upton Grammar from West London, Harrow, Hounslow areas, might be worth calling them.

I believe Langley have information about transport on their website, at least they used to?

Whatever mode of transport you look at, it's going to be quite a trek.
ninder16

Post by ninder16 »

Thanks.

We applied for the local school as 1st choice - unfortunately we didn't get it. We did get a Grammar School in Slough though which we are now accepting.

I know there are people who travel from this area so was hoping to get some feedback on those that do the commute and how they do it!
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

ninder16 wrote:Hi all,

I am wanting to know of any transport options from Sudbury/Alperton areas in Wembley to Slough. I know there is one bus going but wanted to know if there are any local car pool going from this area.

Any advice / contacts to pursue would be appreciated.

Thanks
This is info from LGS
https://www.lgs.slough.sch.uk/page/?tit ... ing&pid=94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ninder16

Post by ninder16 »

Thanks rhiane. Appreciated.

I called the list on this site before, only one service seems to be available from my area. I was wondering if that really is the only company as I probably should get in quick to secure if it is!!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I would think it would be, there can't be many making the journey, do that probably is the only one. If the schools introduce priority areas, as many are, you may find yourself having to make other arrangements a few years down the line.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now