TGS waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Twellsmum1111

TGS waiting list

Post by Twellsmum1111 »

Hi,

Does anyone know how movement there normally is on waiting lists? Do lots of people tend to get in on appeal rather than offering declined places to the waiting list? My daughter is in area and got 371 but missed out on the distance tie breaker. Although she’d prefer TGS so we’ll go on the waiting list, she’s also happy with the school she’s been allocated. I’m just trying to gather information to help me manage her expectations.

Thank you!!
Sevenoaks mum

Re: TGS waiting list

Post by Sevenoaks mum »

I would imagine she has got a great chance of getting in on the waiting list. I don't think anyone will get Tgs on appeal, most appeals are for children who failed the test and if their appeal is successful they would normally get given a grammar that is not super selective. There will be people though who decide to send their child to a private school and this will free up spaces. I would be very surprised if your DD doesn't get offered a place a Tgs.
Twellsmum1111

Post by Twellsmum1111 »

Thanks... that’s reassuring. I’ll be cautiously optimistic! Do you know if there’s data available for number of places offered off the waiting list?
MummyMinion

Post by MummyMinion »

Hello

We are in the same position. DD loves TGS and got 371. We have missed out on distance too. It’s frustrating isn’t it? I think there are bound to be some people who don’t accept their places. You could ask KCC how many of the 371 scorers are closer than you. That will give you an idea of likely starting point for waiting list.

Good luck!
pp1

Post by pp1 »

Hi

If it's any help, my daughter a few years back was one mark off the cut off on offer day and by April had a place.

Fingers crossed you will be fine but please do be aware that there may also be some late takers of the 11+ who didn't register their school place in time, who may have scored a higher mark than your daughter and will jump to the top of the waiting list, but fingers crossed if you hold tight, you'll be fine -but PLEASE make sure you go ahead and accept another one of your choices so you aren't left high and dry.
There tends to be some movement as many children in the private system hold onto their places until the last minute as a back up policy, often not letting the school know until the eleventh hour (that can unbelievably be September)!. Not sure how it is possible to do that, but there you go.
TGS really is the most wonderful, nurturing school and my daughter is still loving it. Also, please ignore people saying that if they only just got in, they are going to struggle. That's certainly not been our experience.
Good luck!
twfan

Post by twfan »

In my daughter's year (2017 intake), 9 places were offered from the waiting list. She is also loving TGS.
Twellsmum1111

Post by Twellsmum1111 »

To anyone who is is the same position; Kentonlineadmissions@kent.gov.uk were very helpful - telling me how many girls were ahead of us, and how many places were offered on second round offers last year. Obviously nothing is guaranteed until 24th April, but it was reassuring.
Kittery

Post by Kittery »

Well my daughter got 366 and I guess we have little hope of getting through on the waiting list... Sigh...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sevenoaks mum wrote:I would imagine she has got a great chance of getting in on the waiting list. I don't think anyone will get Tgs on appeal, most appeals are for children who failed the test and if their appeal is successful they would normally get given a grammar that is not super selective. There will be people though who decide to send their child to a private school and this will free up spaces. I would be very surprised if your DD doesn't get offered a place a Tgs.
An appeal is for a specific school. An appeal for a place at TGS would not have the award of a place at, say, Barton Court as its outcome.

As I undetstand it, the HT review (?exact title) may change a 'fail' score to a basic 'pass', before the announcement of results? This nominal pass score would presumably not get an applicant very far with a superselective school application (but again, they would then be free to appeal for a place if they did apply and were turned down).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx