Waiting list...what are the chances??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JustAMum86

Waiting list...what are the chances??

Post by JustAMum86 »

My son sat the exam for nhgs/Ch. He got rank number 428 and wasn't offered a place. My husband phoned calderdale council and they said they allocated to rank 417 so he was pretty close.

Anyway we have put his name on the waiting list for both schools...are we dreaming or has he got a chance?

Does anyone know anyone who got in from the waiting list and how far down they may go? Am I right in thinking he can only be 11th on the waiting list and that's only if everyone of those ranks have asked to go in the waiting list.
mum-of-two

Re: Waiting list...what are the chances??

Post by mum-of-two »

I know of 3 people who will be declining their place at Crossley/NHGS so that's up to 420 right there (going private).

I think you will have a very good chance of being offered one or the other. If my sources serve me correctly, they were still offering up to the start of Sept and they went to 502. I think that was probably a bit of an anomaly but it usually moves a fair bit. You've only got to find another 8 people to decline!
mum-of-two
JustAMum86

Post by JustAMum86 »

Thanks for replying. He's my eldest son so not had to go through all this before.
Thewaitinggame

Post by Thewaitinggame »

JustaMum86, I think you have a very strong chance of being offered a place. Out of the 360 children who have been offered one, there will be a proportion who choose to go private or are waiting for a school place closer to home. I am also aware that last year Crossleys offered beyond your son’s rank once the acceptances had been returned.

Remain positive and accept whatever place you have been offered for the time being. You have applied for reallocation and by past experience you should be offered a place in the coming months.

Good luck!
JustAMum86

Post by JustAMum86 »

Thanks...it's like waiting for allocation day all over again.

He was so disappointed to not get nhgs or Ch.

We would prefer nhgs but would accept Ch and stay on waiting list for nhgs.
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

justamum - I've received my sons letter from Crossley today and acceptance/decline of the offer is needed by 12th April. Therefore I wouldn't expect that you'll hear anything before then. Just a heads up for you. I'd imagine there will be quite a bit of activity after that date so hang in there!
mum-of-two
JustAMum86

Post by JustAMum86 »

Thanks for letting me know. Were not calderdale and the letters we got said to accept or refuse places by march 15th and would hear new allocation from April...I assumed calderdale was the same so would have been worried come April.

Least now I don't have to start worrying until after April 12th (plus possibly 2-3 weeks to sort waiting list places)
Thewaitinggame

Post by Thewaitinggame »

Try not to worry. You may want to call Calderdale early April to find out your place on the waiting list. I don’t think you can find your place before you get the letter saying you’re on it.
JustAMum86

Post by JustAMum86 »

We got a letter today saying he hadn't been given a reallocation place. I've called and he is 2nd on the list for both nhgs and Ch. So not giving up hope yet, especially as mum of 2 says the acceptance letters don't have to be in until later in April...so still time for people to turn down the spaces.
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

2nd on waiting list is so close. As you say, still time for people to turn down places. Also appeals haven't happened yet nor all the shifting around with reallocations will have been finalised. I know that places were still being offered in the days before school started in September so still loads of time to gain a place. At least you know where you are on the list so you can have a realistic expectation of being offered a place.

Do let us know when you hear something.
mum-of-two