Foundation tier v Higher Tier Science

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Blue_Marigold

Foundation tier v Higher Tier Science

Post by Blue_Marigold »

My DD1’s school is suggesting she does foundation tier Physics (AQA)

I know that if she did the foundation paper then the range of grades she can get is 1-5

I am not sure what the range of grades available on higher tier is. Is it 3-9 or 4-9?

Thanks,

BM
loobylou

Re: Foundation tier v Higher Tier Science

Post by loobylou »

I was under the impression that it was 1-9. It certainly isn't 4-9 as they can definitely "fail" the exam.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, 9-1
scary mum
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Many schools are keen to enter for the lower tier as it is generally considered easier to get the pass at LT than low pass at HT.

I believe the option to mix LT/HT exams is only available if sitting separate sciences.
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Yes my daughter is sitting separate Sciences. So in Chemistry and Biology she will sit the higher tier paper. But in Physics she might have to sit the foundation tier paper.

But my daughter was told the lowest grade available on the higher tier is a 4. If you score below 4 then you fail and get an U.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Blue_Marigold wrote:Yes my daughter is sitting separate Sciences. So in Chemistry and Biology she will sit the higher tier paper. But in Physics she might have to sit the foundation tier paper.

But my daughter was told the lowest grade available on the higher tier is a 4. If you score below 4 then you fail and get an U.
I stand corrected, BM, my apologies. See here. It's OCR but the same will apply.
scary mum
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

My understanding is that the grade range for foundation level is 1 - 5, and the grade range for higher level is 3 - 9.

If you take the higher exam and do not achieve at least a grade 3 then you are awarded a U. Whereas if you don't achieve a grade 3 at foundation you can still get a 1 or a 2, which is better than nothing.

See here:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/cont ... daries.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also I think the questions are worded in a simpler way at foundation level so it is arguably easier for some pupils to get say a 5 at foundation level than a 5 at higher level.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Yes that sounds right below a 4 would not be a pass. A D in old money.
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/ ... -TG-FH.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

That’s really helpful. Thank you!

I am so glad now she’s doing triple science. The school said that if she had been doing double science then she would have to sit the foundation tier for double science which would have affected all her science grades. Now at least she can still aim for a 7 in her best science subject.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

AQA individual sciences and trilogy or synergy the higher paper will categorically only go down to grade 4 this summer. The grade 3 was a special dispensation last year as it was the first year of examining the new specs and many schools entered their pupils for the higher paper in eeror in hindsight. Ofqual were faced with the prospect of a large percentage of students failing the GCSE. They have stated it will not go down to grade 3 this year. Below a 4 will be a U. Foundation is grades 1 - 5. So if your child is border line 4/5 You might want to consider foundation.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now