CGS continuing interest list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ontheborder

CGS continuing interest list

Post by ontheborder »

Hi, I was just wondering if there is anyone else on the Chesham Grammar School continuing interest list or someone who has had experience of it and could give me an idea of how the waiting list has moved previously.

We live 5.3 miles from the school so I'm trying to be realistic about being offered a place, considering the distance has reduced by almost 2 miles this year!

sparklies

Re: CGS continuing interest list

Post by sparklies »

Last year, we missed out by 50 metres.. ironically the "last" place went to somebody on our road a few doors down, and DD's two other friends who applied both got in. I'm fairly sure we were top of the waiting list, and thankfully in mid April we got the news we were desperate to hear and DD is now in Y7 there and thriving.

However, I was very aware that people who moved into the catchment or closer than us after their initial application would take priority, and according to the stats there was at least one in catchment (or was it two? can't remember now) admitted in the second round. So DD was probably number 2 or 3. The catchment only went out by a fraction further in the second round, so probably not more than a couple more got in. So that is still 3-5ish in terms of movement. Whether that decreases this year as the school is seemingly even more popular is anyone's guess.

Regulars will know I spent a lot of time drawing circles on Google maps around CGS this time last year! I came to the conclusion that there is a lot of empty space - fields and so on - over a certain distance toward out of catchment (Bovingdon/Berko/Hemel direction) In the other direction, children would either be in catchment, or likely to be applying to one of the other grammars, so they wouldn't necessarily count for the rule we were trying to get in under. So I guess what I am trying to say (badly!) is that although the distance has reduced by a significant amount, in reality due to all the fields, and the locations of the various towns/villages, it was always going to make a big leap once one town/village was ruled out as the next settlement wouldn't be for some distance. So it may not be as extreme as it sounds.

Hemel is completely ruled out this year by the looks of things though. I know of children in Y5 at schools here who are studying for the 11+ with no siblings, and it's awful because even a few years ago, it was a guarantee if you got 121+ you would get in. I don't know if the parents have looked at the distances and just assumed based on older kids already there - they could be in for a nasty shock although really they should be doing their research!

All the same, it doesn't sound great. Others who know more about appeals may be able to help more, but it may be your best chance is through appeal. Good luck!
ontheborder

Post by ontheborder »

Thank you for replying.
It definitely does sound like CGS isn’t an option for us anymore and I don’t really see how I’ve got grounds for appeal - we just live too far away! The only reason I could possibly think of is myself. I’m disabled (a permanent wheelchair user) and CGS is easier for me to get my daughter to as we have no public transport options.
I’m trying to stay positive for my daughter, we were offered our second choice which is a good school but she worked hard for CGS and it definitely suits her, I think.
I’ll just have to see what happens over the next few weeks.
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

You never know.. it is worth posting on the appeals section here, as they can be super helpful. We tried a late submission based on the fact DD was diagnosed with autism between our application and the result, and we were trying again under the social and medical rule. But it was turned down - fortunately we got the waiting list place though!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.